[Nfbmo] Blindness is not a gimmick

DanFlasar at aol.com DanFlasar at aol.com
Tue Oct 4 03:27:20 UTC 2016

I agree with Roger here.  The "How We See It" campaign is a riff on  the
ice bucket challenge from a year or so back - one that was very successful  in
getting information on ALS into the public consciousness.  "How We  See It
is not so much a gimmick as a PR stunt that reveals woeful ignorance on
blindness.

    The campaign commercial you cite is a reference to a  very old cliche'
- I know that so well I can do it blindfolded" - or in  other words,
something you've done so many times you can do it by  feel.
     The ad has nothing whatsoever to do with blindness  or blind people.
The only thing offensive about it is the same thing  that's offensive about
all political ads - there are too many of them and  they're pretty much
useless in telling us anything about a candidate or an  issue.
    Pretty much everybody ties their shoes without using  their eyes, but
taking apart and reassembling a gun?   I  certainly hope that's not an
everyday skill for most people!
Dan

Roger sums up the message well - he's calling out his candidates claims of

In a message dated 10/3/2016 11:49:22 A.M. Central Daylight Time,