[Nfbmo] FW: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 09/12/2016

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 15 22:11:42 UTC 2016

From: President, National Federation of the Blind [mailto:OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2016 3:00 PM
To: President, National Federation of the Blind
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 09/12/2016

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

The time after Labor Day always seems to move faster than other parts of the year. Many things are starting up again, our affiliates are busy with convention activities and Meet the Blind Month, and lots of new plans are undertaken. In the midst of all of the activity, I urge every leader of the Federation to be sure to find balance in his or her life. I was thinking about this as I logged 17,000 steps on my Fitbit yesterday doing activities with the family. My work for the Federation is always sharper when I am striking a balance and being sure to take care of myself. I urge you to do the same. I encourage leaders in the Federation to share with each other the techniques they use to maintain balance in their lives. And if anyone wants to friend me on Fitbit, I am ready for the extra motivation.

I want to extend congratulations to Bob Kresmer of Arizona who completed a long run as president of our Arizona affiliate. Bob has built a strong affiliate in Arizona and he is now working on the transition to the new president, Donald Porterfield. Thank you, Bob, for your service to the organization. We look forward to continuing to work with you on building the Federation, and we welcome our new Arizona president.

Let’s go build the Federation!

News:

Letter to Congress re: H.R. 3765:
Attached is a letter we sent to all of the chiefs of staff of the members of the House of Representatives last week. The letter addresses our opposition to H.R. 3765 which states that a person with a disability confronting an access barrier would be required to give written notice to the business owner, who then has 60 days to even acknowledge the problem, followed by an additional 120 days to take corrective action. No other group is required to wait 180 days to enforce their civil rights.

Video:
This week’s video, featuring David Stayer and his life in the Federation, is now live at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=744dSXz-W5M.

Reminders:

Logo Request:
Just a reminder, affiliates should be using the new NFB logo in publications, on their websites, and in social media. There is a logo customized for every affiliate. Affiliate presidents who need the updated files should contact Suzanne Shaffer. She can be reached at sshaffer at nfb.org or at (410) 659-9314, extension 2264.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

·         Fall Conventions <https://nfb.org/state-conventions>

·         September 15: Deadline for representatives from accepted prospective NFB BELL Academy affiliates to register for the NFB BELL Academy Training Seminar, October 20-23, 2016. Please choose: Novice/Intermediate, registration form <https://nfb.org/bell-seminar-registration-form>

·         September 30-October 2: NFB BELL Academy Training Seminar (Advanced) in Baltimore, Maryland

·         October 20-24: NFB BELL Academy Training Seminar (Novice/Intermediate) in Baltimore, Maryland

Mark A. Riccobono, President

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21230