[Nfbmo] "Why I'm a Federationist"

Roger Crome r_crome1 at msn.com
Sat Apr 1 12:18:16 UTC 2017

Hello Friends,
Nice job Corey.  I echo Corey's thoughts on this. We have had some very moving and eloquent stories that will touch people.  I am going to take my turn.

I remember back in high school when my uncle was a local chapter President in the NFB.  He brought me to the local meetings and I joined as a member when I turned 18.  I remember traveling to South Bend Indiana for a state board meeting with him.  I was proud to be a part of the NFB and worked to build membership of youth in that area.  Unfortunately, arguments and frustration within the chapter brought the NFBIN Evansville chapter to an end, and sadly, I don't think it has ever revived.  At that point, I don't think I was mature enough to understand the true impact of an advocacy movement.  So, at that time, I disassociated myself from the NFB.

When I moved to Missouri in 1997, I began to develop an interest in advocacy.  I have been active with many committees and organization throughout the years.  I have developed a skillset of working with the state legislature to get things done  Over the years, I have periodically inquired as to whether there was an NFB in our area, and President Wunder continued to tell me "No, but we would love to have one."  I unfortunately, did not feel like taking on the task of formulating a chapter was something I wanted to do.

A few years back, I followed the efforts of the NFB in getting the little baby re-united with her blind parents and became integral in helping pass legislation that aimed to stop the discriminatory practice of assume incompetence. Then, a couple of years ago, there was a little boy in Kansas City that had his cane taken away and replaced with a pool noodle.  At the time, I was the statewide President of People First of Missouri, and so, I called Gary Wunder to see what kind of collaborative advocacy we could do.  I was very impressed to find out that the issue had been resolved as a result o  of the NFB.  This incident triggered to me because our school district tried to take my son's cane while he was on the bus.  Fortunately, our issue was resolved quickly because my wife, Wendy, and I knew what to do.  However, what if this happened to another family who did not know their rights and found there was no local support for them.  It was at this point that I knew that the Federation needed to be in our part of the state as well.  So, I inquired of President Wunder as to what I needed to do in order to formulate a chapter.  Gary helped me through the process, and the NFBMO Mineral Area Chapter was formed in 2015.  Over the last two years, I have met some really good people who have welcomed me warmly into the movement that is the National Federation of the Blind.  My goal forward is to be as integral to the movement as the movement is to me.

I am sure this will have to be edited.  It is way too early on a Saturday morning.  Lol

Thanks for reading.
Roger

Sent from my iPhone