[Nfbmo] A sample letter

Gene Coulter escoulter at centurytel.net
Wed Feb 22 22:23:09 UTC 2017

For those who do not know what to  write to our legislature I have a sample below. I do not pretend it is a great letter but send it along to encourage others to write. I only dealt with two issues leaving out RSB funding in this particular letter but will address that in another letter. The important thing is to write even if it is a single sentence saying, “Please support          HB520 and SB 362.”
Here is a copy of the letter I sent to Rep. Kendrick about our legistlation. You can find out who your representitive is by going into www.house.mo.gov and your state senator by going to www.Senate.Mo.Gov.
-

Eugene Coulter

1504 Furlong Drive

Columbia, MO 65202-4851

February 22, 2017

Dear Representitive  Kendrick,

Members of the National Federation of the Blind visited the Capitol last week showing our concerns about issues effecting Blind persons in Missouri. Briefly I would like to express my hope that you can be supportive of these issues that are vital to us. Perhaps the most valued right of citizens in a republic is that of a secret ballot. The Help America Vote Act assured this right for blind persons in all federal elections. However, many election authorities do not bring accessible electronic machines out for non-federal elections. This appears to be in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Please support HB520(SB 437) to bring Missouri in compliance with federal law and allow me to vote independently in all elections.

Literacy is vital for all children but currently too often Blind children in Missouri are not literate as they are not taught Braille. While technology is wonderful Braille is just as important to the Blind as Print is to the sighted. Senate Bill  362 would mandate that a valid test be given to determine if children should learn Vraille. There is no fiscal note on this bill.

Thank you for your attention to these urgent needs.

Eugene Coulter, Social Services Liaison

National federation of the Blind of Missouri

Phone: 573-474-3226
Fax:573-474-7322