[Nfbmo] Job automation and the fully autonomous vehicle was RE: California tells Uber to shut down 'illegal' self-driving car ...

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 2 13:29:38 UTC 2017

Hello, Daniel. Indeed some folks in the 1970s did believe that energy put
into the Kurzweil reading machine was wasted. They started with its purchase
price of $50,000 and asked how anyone could take seriously a machine that
cost so much. They reason that a machine could never take the place of a
live reader, and at this point I think that there is still some merit to
their argument. They questioned whether the machine would ever be simple
enough that the average blind person could learn to run it, and some folks
even questioned whether there was enough print to make an investment of any
kind very practical.

It is good that we don't get blown away by every piece of technology offered
to us, but it is also important that we give that technology time to mature,
consider what benefits it may bring that we haven't thought about, and
remain open to the possibility that we might enjoy a richer world because of
it.