[Nfbmo] FW: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 01/23/2017

Wunder, Gary gwunder at nfb.org
Wed Jan 25 13:18:42 UTC 2017

From: President, National Federation of the Blind
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2017 4:25 PM
To: President, National Federation of the Blind
Subject: NFB President’s Notebook - week of 01/23/2017

President’s Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

One week from today we will all be together at the Capitol Holiday Inn in Washington, DC, gearing up to make our voices heard in the halls of power. I am particularly excited about the possibilities to make things happen this year, and I look forward to being with the Federation family at our midyear gathering next week.

Just a reminder: We still need travel itineraries from many of you for your arrival into Baltimore. We also need to know whether or not you are continuing on to DC on Monday, and, if so, if you plan to travel on the bus with the other presidents or if you have made alternate travel plans. And, if you are returning home on Monday, we need to know when you are leaving. Please let us know so we can make the appropriate arrangements.

If any of you would like to meet during our weekend or during Washington Seminar, please let me know. I will plan to be in attendance on Monday and Tuesday in DC, and I will be in Baltimore the rest of the time. If you know you need some of my time, it would be good for us to plan it in advance, if we can.

Critical Actions This Week:
Please Sign the Petition:
Jamie Principato, who spoke<https://www.nfb.org/national-convention-highlights> at our national convention last summer about her experience with inaccessible technology, has launched a petition<https://www.change.org/p/united-states-congress-remove-barriers-to-classroom-equality-ensure-accessibility-of-instructional-materials?recruiter=75359047&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink> calling on congressional leaders to move swiftly to pass our Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education Act. The petition<https://www.change.org/p/united-states-congress-remove-barriers-to-classroom-equality-ensure-accessibility-of-instructional-materials?recruiter=75359047&utm_source=share_for_starters&utm_medium=copyLink> further calls upon President Trump to unequivocally commit to supporting this legislation by urging its passage.

News:

Washington Seminar:
The final agenda is attached.

Washington Seminar—NABS
Don't forget to stop by and support our students at the NABS Café on Monday, January 30, starting at 8:00 p.m. in the Congressional Ballroom. There will be a DJ, delicious desserts, a cash bar, and an auction with great items such as hotel stays, an Amazon Echo, and a Kindle Fire.

Washington Seminar—Parent Leadership Program:
The following parents will be participating in the Parent Leadership Program (PLP) this year at Washington Seminar: LaDonna Rodriguez, OK; Julieta Meyer, IL; Alison Tarver, LA; Cherice Togun, FL; Heather Leiterman, OH; Briley O'Connor, MN; Lana Abbot, NJ; Joy Orton, AL; Tabby Mitchell, VA; Glenda Farnum, OK; and Michelle Murrey, TX.

Comments on Secretary of Education Nominee Remarks:
During her confirmation hearing, Betsy DeVos, President Trump’s nominee for secretary of education, spoke regarding the obligations of schools under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Our reply to those comments can be found in the press release on our website<https://nfb.org/national-federation-blind-comments-secretary-education-nominee-betsy-devos%E2%80%99-remarks-regarding>.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

·         January 30, 2017: Great Gathering-In

·         January 30-February 2, 2017: Washington Seminar<https://nfb.org/washington-seminar>

·         March 23, 2017: eBooks and EPUB accessibility event<https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6317&qid=1522699>

·         March 30-31, 2017: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium

·         March 31, 2017: Deadline for scholarship applications<http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>

·         April 15, 2017: Deadline for Jacob Bolotin Award applications<https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main>

·         May 1, 2017: Deadline for Distinguished Educators of Blind Student<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/distinguished-educator-of-blind-students-award-form-fillable.pdf> Award applications

·         July 10-15, 2017: National Convention, Rosen Shingle Creek Resort, Orlando, Florida<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm16/bm1611/bm161101.htm>

·         July 21-29, 2017: Youth Slam<http://www.blindscience.org/nfb-youth-slam>, Towson University

·         September 12-17, 2017: BLAST<http://blindmerchants.org/blast-2017/>, Nashville, Tennessee

Mark A. Riccobono
President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

Disclaimer