[Nfbmo] {Disarmed} New Phone Scam

nancy Lynn seabreeze.stl at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 17:56:16 UTC 2017

I got this from another list and thought you should be warned. This would be so easy to fall for.

Forwarded from Jeanette Schmoyer...

Shared from the Newtown, PA Patch

Police & Fire

Beware Of New 'Can You Hear Me' Phone Scam In Pennsylvania

(and possibly other states)

The new scam involves recording an affirmative response so it can later be
used to authorize credit card charges.

By
Kara Seymour (Patch National Staff) -
January 27, 2017 10:09 am ET

Authorities are warning of a new phone scam which has targeted residents
in Pennsylvania.

It's called the "can you hear me scam," and the main goal of the scammer
is to get an audio recording of you saying "yes" so they can authorize
charges
on a credit card.

According to a report by CBS News, the latest scam has occurred in
Pennsylvania and Virginia.

Here's how it works, according to the CBS report:

list of 4 items
• A scammer calls a victim and says "Can you hear me?" hoping they respond
"yes."
• That affirmative response is then recorded.
• The scammer may have collected personal information about the victim
already to allow them to access credit card or other utilities as a result
of a
data breach.
• When the victim disputes the charge, the scammer then uses that audio
recording to prove "consent" of the unwanted charges on a credit card or
other
bill.
list end

So what should you do if you think you may have already been a victim of
this scam? Review all your statements and if you notice unfamiliar
charges, call
the company to dispute.

__._,_.___

Posted by: susan at lichtenfels.us

Join the MMD program of Pennsylvania Council of the Blind and help improve tomorrow today in PCB.� For further information contact:
Susan Lichtenfels, President - email: susan at lichtenfels.us
or the PCB State Office:
E-mail: pcboffice at pcb1.org Tel: 877-617-7407
Let�s all help today for a brighter tomorrow!��

To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: PCB-L-unsubscribe at yahooGroups.com
Visit Your Group a.. New Members 1
 • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

.