[Nfbmo] Amazon launches a low-cost version of Prime for customers on government assistance

Randy C randycarmack at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 03:17:04 UTC 2017

Ever since I first heard this story when it was in my newsfeed this
morning, I have felt very uneasy about it.  After all day contemplation on
why I feel so uneasy about it the following is my conclusion.

I think that Amazon must have released it this morning thinking that they
were doing a good thing but my take on it is somewhat different.

Point 1:  EBT cards are only provided to people who receive Welfare
Benefits and/or Food Stamps.  I don't know about other states but in
Missouri this would be the absolute poorest of the poor.

Point 2:  Major corporations are not in the business to loose money and I
am sure that even with the discounted rate for EBT cardholders that Amazon
is still making money on those Prime memberships.

Point 3:  If they can still make money on the discounted rate on a Prime
membership, why don't they just give that rate to everyone.

My final point is, if they really wanted to do something for the poorest of
the poor they would give every EBT cardholder a free Prime membership.
They would still  be able to make some profit on the members purchases.

In summation I have concluded that this press release is a lame publicity
stunt and an inappropriate way to make a massive corporation even richer
off of the backs of the poorest of the poor.

Respectfully Submitted,
Randy Carmack