[Nfbmo] Why should I pay to register for state convention???

Gene Coulter escoulter at centurytel.net
Wed Mar 29 04:50:06 UTC 2017

To clarify: This is my 41st convention and members have never had had a
choice of what stuff they eat at our banquet. We normally give the host
chapter a list of3 to 5  choices for the entrée. Some years it works out
well and other years we  have leather briskit. We try to make the menu as
universally pleasing as is possible given  the built-in limitations with
mass feeding. If we give our membership two or three choices our prices for
the banquet would increase as hotels would need to order more food  and
allow for waste for three items instead of one. The last time I inquired
about this idea the hotel stated they would be happy to do it but they would
charge us $3 to $5 more per plate. I know organizations who give choices but
they are not paying $30 to $33 per plate.
The only time we gave choices was for a lunch at the 1995 convention in
Columbia and it was a nightmare as people took the wrong plates having
changed their minds.
As of this writing all I know about the menus is that we have eggs for
breakfast Sunday!  Tradition is that we do not tell about the food we are
eating as the reason for the banquet is not the food but the program; you
will note that our National organization does not tell us about the food we
are getting for their banquet either.
BTW- Thanks for all of the kind words.
Gene