[Nfbmo] National Fitness Challenge NFCMO

Linda A.Coccovizzo Linda.Coccovizzo at MCCKC.EDU
Tue May 9 17:32:25 UTC 2017

Hi, Gary and all. Getting my steps is a challenge for me as well. I get up, and get the girls on the bus and get to work and at that point, I am lucky to have 1000. At work, there is very little movement. I do a working lunch, and bring my food most of the time to save money, so there is no reason to leave my desk to eat. I walk to the break room to get water, which fortunately is at the opposite end of my building. However, there is no room really in the office space, nor is the building conducive to just walking to be walking, being a maze of very narrow hallways. I get home, and a lot of times I need to help with homework, do dinner, laundry--all those mom things that don't require a lot of steppin'. I'm lucky if I have 3000 steps before I hit the treadmill at whatever hour I finally get to it. I keep my goal at 8000. Yes, I know it's not the daily recommended, but I am also realistic. I try to get that 10,  but at least I have a goal to force me to get a certain amount of steps before I stop.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfbmo [mailto:nfbmo-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Gary Wunder via Nfbmo
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 12:04 PM
To: nfbmo list
Cc: Gary Wunder
Subject: [Nfbmo] National Fitness Challenge NFCMO

Like those of you who have already posted, I had a wonderful time on Sunday by helping the Delta Gamma Foundation in what I understand to be their largest fundraiser of the year. On days when you do a walk like this, it is easy to meet a step goal such as the one I have, which happens to be 10,000 steps a day. Now I see that my goal, no matter how hard I find to make it some days, is far surpassed by many in our group. The question I would like to explore is how you do it? I have a job that lets me work at home, so I have a lot more freedom to take the time I need for exercise and other things, but most of my job really requires that I sit at a computer, read mail, and respond to it, and write , write, write. Sometimes I try to be creative and read materials I am reviewing on a portable device, but there is only so much I can do to keep on moving. How do those of you who work in more structured environments managed to get the number of steps you get? Are you walking in place as I sometimes do? Are you walking outside, as I sometimes do? Do you pace around parts of your office space, as I sometimes do?

I'd love suggestions for how to get my step count up without seeing a commensurate reduction in my salary. I welcome and encourage your thoughts.
Please respond on list, even if you think my 10,000 step count is rather wimpy.