[Nfbmo] More on Autonomous Vehicles

Daniel Garcia dangarcia3 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 1 04:50:24 UTC 2017

I am sure that all of you have seen the press release from the National Office about the introduction to the Senate of the AV Start Act. The House of Representatives has already passed its own version of the bill, but I don't know if this bill deals at all with accessibility issues. One thing that strikes me is that this regulation might require that a passenger be in the vehicle in order for the vehicle to work. This would prevent autonomous vehicles from being used to their full potential. Imagine an autonomous vehicle dropping you off at work and then going back home to pick up your kids and dropp them off at school. And then the vehicle could go to the grocery store where it would be loaded with groceries and then it would go back to work to pick you up at the end of the day. These scenarios would not be contemplated by the current bill the House passed.

Source:
https://www.wired.com/story/congress-self-driving-car-law-bill/

Regards

Daniel Garcia