[Nfbmo] A Sample of What the National Office Sends Out to the General Public to Solicit Donations

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 6 13:25:51 UTC 2017

Thanks for sending, friend.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfbmo [mailto:nfbmo-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Garcia via
Nfbmo
Sent: Saturday, September 02, 2017 2:39 PM
To: NFB of Missouri Mailing List (nfbmo at nfbnet.org)
Cc: Daniel Garcia
Subject: [Nfbmo] A Sample of What the National Office Sends Out to the
General Public to Solicit Donations

Though my Mom & Dad are on a fixed income, they once in a while send a
small, but generous donation to the NFB, national office. A few weeks ago
they received a small gift and a double sided 2-page leaflet. They put the
leaflet on an envelope and sent it to me. I was able to scan it with my OCR
software; you can read the content below my signature.

Best Regards

Daniel Garcia

***

NATIONAL FEDERATION of the Blind
200 East Wells Street
Baltimore, MD 21230-4998

(410) 659-9314

www.nfb.org

When I was a blind child, I thought that the only job opportunity a blind
person had to look forward to was making brooms in a sheltered workshop. It
was either that, or end up selling pencils on a street corner!

Dear Friend of the Blind,

Thank God you don't find many blind people selling pencils from a tin cup on
the streets today. Thanks to good and understanding people like you, we are
putting an end to those days!

As for employment and wages for blind workers... that's another story.
Sadly, for many years, our society found it easier to separate blind people
and cloister us in sheltered workshops making brooms for sub-standard wages,
rather than giving them the training and opportunity to do a good job at a
good wage.

I would like to report to you that sheltered workshops are a thing of the
past, but I can't. Even today, there are modern "sheltered workshops" where
blind people work for LESS THAN THE MINIMUM WAGE!

What's even more outrageous, is the fact that the owners of these "legal
sweatshops" get away with paying a blind worker less per hour than they pay
a sighted worker - even though they are doing the EXACT SAME JOB.
Yes, even though Federal law mandates that employers must pay most workers
the minimum wage, workshop employers are allowed by law to pay a blind
worker anything they can justify.

That's right, blind workers are paid one quarter or one half of what a
sighted worker who is doing the exact same job as the blind worker is paid
because the government says it's okay for the employer to pay them less.
I'm sending you the enclosed mini broom and dustpan to remind you that over
1.3 million blind men, women, and children in our country need your support
and love, given with dignity and the challenge to succeed.

I want you to have this useful and meaningful gift for two important
reasons:

One, because it's small and durable, and will come in handy to

(Over, please)

Page 2

clean up around your kitchen counter or table.

And, two, because each time you look at the mini broom it will remind you of
the days when brooms were almost exclusively made by thousands of blind men
and women, who had no chance at meaningful employment other than to work in
a sheltered workshop making pennies a day.

Yes, please keep the mini brush and dustpan because they tell a story... a
story of the long way we have come... and a road we continue to travel...
with dear friends like you.

And please agree to continue your help today.

Your gift of understanding the challenges of being blind

will help to unlock doors for blind people who need the chance for

opportunities to live full lives.

As a loyal friend, you know that blind people don't want welfare programs.
We don't want pennies thrown in a tin cup with pity.

We want the chance to pay our own way... to go to school, learn a skill, do
an honest day's work for an honest living and most of all, we want the
chance to succeed in work, in life.

The real problem of blindness is not just the blindness itself, but the
mistaken notions and misunderstandings about blindness that so many people
still have.

Blind people have had to struggle against these misunderstandings, and
that's why I need you to spread the message about what blind people can and
can't do... especially when it comes to employment.

We need your help to eliminate the misunderstandings and old notions that
Braille reading and white canes are a sign of shame to be avoided.

We are redoubling our efforts to promote Braille literacy so today's blind
children will be able to get a good education and compete for good jobs.

We blind leaders are more determined than ever to stop the owners of "legal
sweatshops" from paying a blind worker less per hour than they pay a sighted
worker - even though they are doing the EXACT SAME JOB.

NFB programs are all throughout the country, and we are helping thousands of
people every day... but, we can't do it alone... we need your help more than
ever before... and we need it right now.

We need you to learn, understand, and spread the word so others can also
understand and learn about us so they won't have misconceptions about
blindness.

One of the reasons most people think blindness is a tragedy that can't be
overcome, is that they can't imagine how the simplest things

Page 3

can be done without vision.

For example, you can wake up and read the morning paper... something a blind
person couldn't do until the NFB created "Newsline for the Blind," the
talking newspaper service that allows blind people to hear their local
newspapers over the telephone.

It's the same thing with computer screens; there are hardly any jobs today
that don't require the use of a computer. So, we helped develop and are the
biggest promoter of specialized software and hardware that makes computer
screens "talk" to blind people.

That's also why we built and equipped the largest, most up-to-date Braille
Training Center for blind workers in the world.

Another simple thing like distinguishing between bottles of medicines and
vitamins or knowing if you are handing a cashier a $20 bill or a $1 bill, is
something the blind could only do by labeling bottles and carefully folding
currency.

But today, a blind person can do both of these things and so much more, by
using our KNFB Reader. It has taken many years and many millions of dollars
in research to develop this technology, but we have now developed a mobile
app that REDUCES THE INCONVENIENCE AND NUISANCE OF BLINDNESS.

Here are some other important services we provide to the blind that we need
you to help us spread the word about:

Establishing the innovative Online Blindness Education Program designed to
teach critical information about blindness and blind people to sighted
educators, blindness professionals, family members of blind children or
adults, and anyone else interested in what blindness is -- and more
important -- what it isn't.

Working to change widely held beliefs about the capacities of blind people,
and by seeking out individuals needing our help through broad-based
communications with the general public.

Giving free white canes to every blind and partially sighted person who asks
for one. To date we have sent out over 15,000 canes to help blind people
travel independently.

With your contribution we can work to wipe out old-fashioned attitudes that
destroy rather than build. Making the case to legally justify paying a blind
worker less than a sighted worker, who is doing the exact same job, is
WRONG!

The truth about blindness can be heard in Congress, on the street, in homes,
in factories, and in some stores... wherever people are present to hear it.

Someday, hopefully soon, because you care enough to help spread the word,
all blind people will get their chance to lead a life of opportunity and
independence.

Please don't delay! Send $15, $20, even $25, or as much as you

(Over, please)

Page 4

can share with us -- the NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND.

The symbolic message of the mini broom is our challenge! We blind leaders
won't rest until all blind people -- men, women, and children, enjoy true
FREEDOM, OPPORTUNITY, UNDERSTANDING AND INDEPENDENCE. We will not go back to
the days of begging on a street corner with a tin cup for spare change.

I pray you are inspired to have faith in us -- in our abilities. We blind
people want and need your help through your most generous gift.

P.S. I sincerely hope you'll keep the mini broom and dustpan I sent you as
my gift to you with no obligations. Thank you for your understanding and
please help us open the doors of opportunity for blind people.

P.P.S. The symbolic message of the mini broom is very important -blind
people need the opportunity and training to earn a good living at a fair
wage... not coins thrown in a cup.

    WE CARE ABOUT YOU TOO! If a family member, friend, or someone you know
needs assistance with problems of blindness, please write: Marc Maurer,
President Emeritus, National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street,
at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230-4998,

     BBB.
   The National Federation of the Blind meets the rigorous Standards for
Charity Accountability set forth by the BBB Wise Giving Alliance.

  ACCREDITED CHARITY

  bbb.org/charity

A COPY OF THE LATEST REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION FILED BY THE
ORGANIZATION MAY BE OBTAINED BY CONTACTING US AT: 200 EAST WELLS STREET,
BALTIMORE, MD 21230 OR BY CONTACTING ANY OF THE STATE AGENCIES: Colorado:
Colorado residents may obtain copies of registration and financial documents
from the office of the Secretary of State, (303) 894-2200,
http://www.sos.state. co.us. Registration No. 20103007878. FLORIDA - A COPY
OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION (SC-01306) AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE
OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL FREE WITHIN
THE STATE 1-800-HELP-FLA. 100% OF ALL CONTRIBUTIONS RECEIVED ARE RETAINED BY
THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY
ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE. GEORGIA - A full and
fair description of the charitable program(s) for which this solicitation
program is carried out is available upon request from the National
Federation of the Blind. Maryland - For the cost of copies and postage,
documents and information filed under the Maryland charitable organizations
laws can be obtained from the Secretary of State, Charitable Division, State
House, Annapolis, MD 21401. Mississippi - The official registration and
financial information of the National Federation of the Blind may be
obtained from the Mississippi Secretary of State's office by calling
1-888-236-6167. Registration by the Secretary of State does not imply
endorsement. NEW JERSEY - INFORMATION FILED WITH THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
CONCERNING THIS CHARITABLE SOLICITATION AND THE PERCENTAGE OF CONTRIBUTIONS
RECEIVED BY THE CHARITY DURING THE LAST REPORTING PERIOD THAT WERE DEDICATED
TO THE CHARITABLE PURPOSE MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE
STATE OF NEW JERSEY BY CALLING (973) 504-6215 AND IS AVAILABLE ON THE
INTERNET AT www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ocp.htm#charity. REGISTRATION WITH THE
ATTORNEY GENERAL DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT. In New York, a copy of the
latest annual report can be obtained from the organization at 200 East Wells
Street, Baltimore, MD 21230 or from the Office of the Attorney General by
writing the Charities Bureau, 120 Broadway, New York, NY 10271. IF YOU DO
NOT WANT YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS SHARED OUTSIDE THE ORGANIZATION, PLEASE SEND
NOTIFICATION TO US AT: NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND, ATTN: PRIVACY
NOTIFICATION, 200 EAST WELLS STREET, BALTIMORE, MD 21230. NORTH CAROLINA -
FINANCIAL INFORMATION ABOUT THIS ORGANIZATION AND A COPY OF ITS LICENSE ARE
AVAILABLE FROM THE STATE SOLICITATION LICENSING BRANCH AT 1-888-830-4989.
THIS LICENSE IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT BY THE STATE. Pennsylvania - The official
registration and financial information of the National Federation of the
Blind may be obtained from the Pennsylvania Department of State by calling
toll-free, within Pennsylvania, 1-800-732-0999. Registration does not imply
endorsement. Virginia - Financial statements for the last fiscal year are
available upon request from the State Office of Consumer Affairs, PO BOX
1163, Richmond, VA 23218. Washington - Information relating to the financial
affairs of the National Federation of the Blind is available from the
Secretary of State, and the number for Washington residents is
1-800-332-4483. West Virginia - Residents may obtain a summary of the
registration & financial documents from the Secretary of State, State
Capitol, Charleston, WV 25305. Registration does not imply endorsement.

Sincerely,   c-f\isrd\-kv?