[Nfbmo] Kansas city school quits providing braille

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 27 16:59:53 UTC 2017

It is so sad to consider the choices that parents confront and what happens
to students when there is conflict. There are times when parents know they
have a right to a thing but then find that by the time they get through
fighting for and perhaps winning it, their student is so far behind that the
initial issue almost pales into insignificance compared with what now must
be accomplished. If we have to fight for five years to get someone Braille,
how do we catch them up while at the same time trying to teach them this new
way to read? There has to be a better way to expedite these disagreements
between school districts and the students they are required to serve. We all
lose when students are less competent than their cited peers when they walk
across the stage at graduation. We have to continue doing what we're doing,
but we also have to look for better solutions. The challenge we have to
think these up is as important as the quality of life our young students
will inherit.