[NFBMO] A Few Thoughts On Our Convention And Dates To Remember

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 13 15:10:25 UTC 2018

What a fine message. I am inspired.

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMO [mailto:nfbmo-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Shelia Wright via
NFBMO
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2018 8:18 PM
To: 'NFB of Missouri Mailing List'
Cc: Shelia Wright
Subject: [NFBMO] A Few Thoughts On Our Convention And Dates To Remember

Hello Fellow Missouri Federation Members,

It was great being with many of you at our 2018 Annual State Convention this
past weekend. I want to take this opportunity to let those that were not
able to be at our Fifty-Six Annual State Convention how much we missed
having you there with us. Our convention is a wonderful time to come
together as the Federation Family in Missouri to meet and greet one another,
get updates on the Federation both on a national and state level, and take
action that will guide us over the next year as we advance the work of the
Federation. you

We were very fortunate to have Mark Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, as our national representative with us this year. I
want to express my appreciation to each of you who participated on the
agenda and/or led meetings that took place on Friday. Our Jefferson City
Chapter did a wonderful job as the Host Chapter. The hospitality and door
prizes were spectacular.

Congratulations to the Jefferson City Chapter who won the King&Queen Contest
and the Roy Zuvers Traveling Trophy. We had four scholarship  winners: Jenny
Carmack, Nina Theroff, Bethany Bennington, and Nina Villano. Check out their
bios on our NFB of Missouri webpage. Carol Coulter received the Gary L.
Wunder Award for her commitment and dedication. This was the first year we
have given this award in honor of our President Emeritus. This award was
previously known as our Affiliate Award.

We were pleased to welcome some first time attendees and hope they will
become active in our chapters and divisions. The dates for our 2019 Annual
Missouri State Convention will be March 21-24, 2019  and it will be held in
Columbia, Missouri. It's not too early to Mark it on your calendar now and
plan to join us for our Fifty-Seventh Convention.

I would also like to address our upcoming 2018 National Convention in
Orlando, Florida which will be July 3-8, 2018. I hope that many of you are
making your plans now to join us in Florida for this year's convention. This
is the last year we will be in Florida and we look forward to moving the
2019 convention moving to a location west of the Mississippi. We will learn
the specific location this summer during the convention. Let's enjoy one
more year in Florida.

There are still a couple of days left to apply for the Kenneth Jernigan
Scholarships which are for those attending their first convention. The
deadline is April 15, 2018. I also want everyone to know that the convention
set aside some funding to help our Missouri folks to come to the convention.
First time attendees will receive priority but if you have been to a
convention before and this may make the difference whether you can go to the
convention, please apply. The Rittgers Committee is accepting the
applications and application deadline is May 15, 2018. Chairman Gene Coulter
has already advertised this stipend program on this list. For more
information, you can contact him and your chapter or division president.
Let's have a good turnout this summer at the convention. Our national
conventions have so much to offer.

Finally, I want to mention our Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning
- BELL Academy Programs this summer in Kansas City and St. Louis. The dates
for the BELL Academy in Kansas City are June 18-29, 2018 and the BELL
Academy in St. Louis will be July 23- August 3, 2018. We are accepting
Applications now online for both locations. If you know of families that
have a blind child between 4 - 12 years old, please be sure to tell them
about this opportunity. There is a link to the application on our webpage
which is NFBMO.ORG.

More news from the convention and our affiliate will be forthcoming so tune
in here, at your chapter meetings, and to our webpage.

It's great to be a part of the National Federation of the Blind of Missouri.
Help us reach out to others who can benefit from our programs. Help us Build
the Federation!

Shelia

Shelia Wright, President

7928 NW Milrey Drive, Kansas City, MO 64152

816-741-6402

President at nfbmo.org <mailto:President at nfbmo.org>

www.nfbmo.org <http://www.nfbmo.org>