[NFBMO] HR 620

Stan Magoon smagoon822 at aol.com
Thu Feb 15 21:22:40 UTC 2018

Here is the letter from Rep. Long Erin received. It is almost like he never read our letter!

February 15, 2018

Ms. Erin Magoon
111 Haley Way
Hollister, MO 65672-8300

Dear Ms. Magoon,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 620, the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) Education and Reform Act of 2017. I am glad to have the benefit of your views on this issue.

As you may know, H.R. 620 would require the Disability Rights Section of the Department of Justice to create a program to educate state and local governments on how to promote public accommodations for those with disabilities. The bill also describes what must happen before a suit may be filed over potential violations of the ADA. Before someone can file suit, they must specify the reasons they were denied access to a public space and already have asked for help in removing the barrier that prevents them from the space.

I believe we all have an individual responsibility to ourselves, our loved ones, and our communities to help those with disabilities enjoy society to the fullest extent possible. How we each contribute is a diverse and personal choice which may include activities such as volunteering, making donations to a charitable group, or raising awareness with others.

I am proud to be a cosponsor of H.R. 620. Most of us have known someone with a disability. Some of us have family members who are or will become disabled. It is important that we work, friend to friend, neighbor to neighbor, to make sure that our communities are welcoming and open places for everyone, especially the disabled.

On February 15, 2018, the House of Representatives, with my support, passed H.R. 620 by a vote of 225-192. The bill now moves to the Senate for further consideration.

Hearing the views of all Missourians gives me the opportunity to better understand how important issues could impact the people of the Seventh District and the future interests of the nation.
For additional information regarding current legislation, my representation of the Seventh District, and to sign up to receive my monthly newsletter, I invite you to visit my website at http://long.house.gov

Sincerely,

Billy Long
Member of Congress

Please do not reply to this email. The mailbox is unattended.
To share your thoughts please visit my webpage.

Joy!