[NFBMO] Tips for Anyone Applying for a National Federation of the Blind Scholarship

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:08:56 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

Please pass this message along to any students you know in your
chapters and other networks.

I would like to share some helpful tips for anyone who is applying for
an NFB national scholarship this year, and for any of you who wish to
apply for an NFB of Missouri scholarship next year, you can keep these
things in mind.

•	Proofread, proofread, proofread!  When you type, double and triple
check for typos.  Do not forget to spell check, and if you’re not sure
how to spell a word on an online form, ask Alexa or some other
assistant how to spell it.  You can also type things out in Microsoft
Word and spell check before copying and pasting into online forms.
•	Similarly, proof read your essay.  You want that essay to reflect
your best writing.  I recommend asking someone to look over it before
submitting.
•	Think carefully about whom you ask to write your letters of
recommendation.  If you have any reason to believe that your chosen
recommender may forget, you might want to choose someone else.
•	Follow all directions to the letter.  Observe the word limit for the
essay, and observe the deadlines of the scholarship programs.
•	Highlight your strengths, and be clear about your goals.  But don’t
be afraid and avoid your weaknesses.  Essentially, just be yourself.
Don’t be who you think the committee wants you to be.
•	If you have a question, reach out to the scholarship chair or
another member of the committee.  Don’t be afraid; that’s what we’re
here for.
•	Can I emphasize proofreading enough?  I don’t think I can, so it
gets another spot on this list.  

I am not the absolute expert on all things scholarship, so if anyone
can add anything I missed, I invite you to do so.

Let's get some scholarship winners this year from Missouri!

Julie