[NFBMO] Jefferson City Walk for Independence marks the beginning of National Fitness Challenge

Daniel Garcia dangarcia3 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 09:48:59 UTC 2018

For Immediate Release

National Federation of the Blind of Jefferson City to hold 5K Walk at McKay Park on October 7

Walk promotes healthy lifestyles and equality for the blind

Jefferson City, Missouri (October 1, 2018): October is Meet the Blind Month, a time when members of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) hold community events to increase awareness of the NFB and to spread the message that blindness does not hold us back from living productive, rewarding, and healthy lives. On October 7 the Jefferson City Chapter of the NFB of Missouri will hold its 30th Walk for Independence at McKay Park starting at 2 p.m. This year, the annual 5K Walk coincides with the NFB of Missouri's participation in the Sixth Iteration of the National Fitness Challenge sponsored by the United States Association of Blind Athletes (USABA) and the Anthem Foundation.

Research has consistently shown that individuals who participate in regular physical activity to improve their health have higher energy levels, a lower risk of health-related diseases, improved psychological health, and lower rates of depression and anxiety. Unfortunately, because of the many barriers and misconceptions about their abilities, approximately 70 percent of the nearly 56,000 children and youth who are blind and visually impaired in the United States do not participate in even a limited physical education curriculum. The National Fitness Challenge thus serves to encourage more active healthy lifestyles among the blind. In agreeing to participate in the challenge, NFB members pledge to walk at least 10,000 steps a day and to engage in at least 30 minutes of physical activity every day. The NFB of Missouri also commits itself to various goals including member participation in 5K or 10K community events.

The Sports & Recreation Committee of the NFB of Missouri helps blind people break down barriers to full participation in sports, recreation, and exercise by working diligently to raise awareness of health concerns related to exercise, nutrition, and wellness; it is the group that will coordinate our partnership with USABA. Melissa Kane is an active member of the Sports & Recreation Committee as well as the President of the Jefferson City Chapter. About the upcoming 5K event in McKay Park she recently stated that "Our Walk for Independence symbolizes our long and continuing walk for equality and opportunities for the blind. It is our largest fundraiser of the year and gives our members the opportunity to show the public our independence and that blindness doesn't hold us back from living full and physically fit lives."

###

CONTACT:
Rita Lynch, Vice President, Jefferson City Chapter
(573) 634-3865
(573) 230-4506 (Cell)
ralynch1950 at embarqmail.com