[NFBMO] Question on additional independent living training as afull-time working blind adult

Ali aliherky at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 17:58:28 UTC 2019

Hi Mike,
I have heard great things about the mobility services at the 
Society for the Blind. I do know some one that works at RSB that 
you could talk to, but she is not a mobility instructor but an 
RT. Do you live in the St. Louis area?


 ----- Original Message -----
From: "Walker \(US\), Michael E via NFBMO" <nfbmo at nfbnet.org
To: "nfbmo at nfbnet.org" <nfbmo at nfbnet.org
Date sent: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 15:35:05 +0000
Subject: [NFBMO] Question on additional independent living 
training as afull-time working blind adult


In the state of Missouri, how common is it for blind people to 
need additional independent living training while they are 
working full-time? Say I move into a different apartment to be 
closer to my job. If I found out I needed more O and M training, 
would I contact St. Louis Society for the Blind and Visually 
Impaired first, or RSB? Do blind people usually take vacation to 
accommodate the training conflicting with work hours? Can an O 
and M specialist help on recommendations regarding which 
apartments are good from that perspective, during the search, or 
is it best to go through conventional channels like 

My other question on independent living is: What are the 
different ways in which blind people deal with mail? On another 
mailing list, I heard about the optacon, but would like to learn 
more about my options. Is OCR more common? For large stacks of 
mail, is it possible to get a reader? How does one find a reader?

Thank you,
NFBMO mailing list
NFBMO at nfbnet.org
To unsubscribe, change your list options or get your account info 
for NFBMO:

More information about the NFBMO mailing list