[NFBMO] Taking good luck and good fortune for granted

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 11 00:02:08 UTC 2019

By any standard, those of us who belong to the NFB of Missouri are blessed,
and sometimes the things that challenge us keep us from seeing just how
much. On September 28 we sat in a board meeting, listening to minutes, a
report from our treasurer, and a report from our committees, as well as a
recitation of action points assigned and completed. In one way of thinking,
this is old hat - just another business meeting - but what is so amazing is
that none of us were forced to be where we were or to do the work we
willingly have done and are doing. It is so easy to take one another for
granted, to consider the meeting and unwanted obligation when what we wanted
was a downtime Saturday. But as I watched the meeting progressed, not having
to run it, and having no illusion that I was at the center of it, I felt
tremendous gratitude for everyone in the room, those reporting and those
paying close attention.

Eight days later, a number of us were in Jefferson City. In one way it was
traditional: a Walkathon, a talkathon, a picnic. But people who found it
difficult to walk walked; people who found it difficult to cook brought
something; even an eighty-four-year-old man who lost his wife less than two
months ago came because he believes in our work. What a nice family reunion,
and what a pleasure it is to have so many people we hold dear in our lives.

I thank all of you for making my life better and for letting me be a part of
yours. I pledge to do my best not to take you for granted but to take you
for the valuable members you are, human beings who have choices but who have
chosen us.