[NFBMO] I wonder if this is why we do what we do

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 1 02:48:03 UTC 2021

Sometimes I hear some quotation or piece of wisdom and think that, while
I've never said it, I've felt this quite often.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Squire Bill Widener

This line was made famous by President Theodore Roosevelt, but he was
actually quoting a Virginian soldier and community leader named Squire Bill
Widener. Published in Roosevelt's 1913 autobiography, this succinct quote
summarizes the former President's philosophy on life: that devotion to the
pursuit of mere pleasure and success is hollow in comparison to a life lived
dutifully for the people right in front of you. "Why, the greatest
happiness," Roosevelt wrote, "is the happiness that comes as a by-product of
striving to do what must be done."