[NFBMO] FW: [NFB-Legislative-Directors] Quick Legislative Update

Dennis Miller millerdennis893 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 14:58:32 UTC 2021

From: NFB-Legislative-Directors [mailto:nfb-legislative-directors-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Pare, John via NFB-Legislative-Directors
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 8:39 AM
To: NFB Legislative Directors List
Cc: Pare, John
Subject: [NFB-Legislative-Directors] Quick Legislative Update

Dear Legislative Directors:

The House and Senate will adjourn sometime today. The Senate will return on Monday, November 29 and the House will return on Tuesday, November 30.

Here is a quick rundown on where we stand with all of our legislation.

Access Technology Affordability Act

H.R. 431: 114 cosponsors

S. 212: 32  cosponsors

Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act

H.R. 4853: 10 cosponsors

We are working to get a Senate companion

Twenty-First Century Website and Application Accessibility Act

We are close to getting this dropped in the Senate. Once the Senate bill drops we should be able to quickly get a House companion. Our goal is to get the Senate dropped before the end of this calendar year and the House companion before Washington Seminar.

Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act

H.R. 2373: 23 cosponsors

S. 3238: 1 cosponsor

The Senate bill dropped yesterday. It is sponsored by Senator Bob Casey (D-PA) and cosponsored by Senator Steve Daines (R-MT). This is a huge step forward on this issue. The Senate TCIEA bill and its various predecessors have not been bipartisan in the Senate since we were able to get Senator Ayotte to lead this bill in the 114th Congress. It is now bipartisan in both the House and the Senate.

We need to build cosponsor support on all of these bills. While they are all important, the most time sensitive is the ATAA in the Senate. There is still a possibility we can get the ATAA incorporated into the Build Back Better Act or another year-end vehicle. Our best chance of increasing this likelihood is to increase cosponsor support in the Senate on S. 212. Of the 32 cosponsors on S. 212, 24 are Democrats and 8 are Republicans. Let’s work hard to keep this bipartisan.

While every day is a good day to contact your member of Congress, it will be particularly important that we surge the week of November 29 when they are back.

Thanks for all you do and have a great Thanksgiving.

Warm regards,

John

John G. Paré Jr.

Executive Director for Advocacy and Policy

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314, extension 2218 | Jpare at nfb.org

 <https://nfb.org/> National Federation of the Blind

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind> Facebook     <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice> Twitter     <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind> Youtube