[NFBMO] Notes on BRITE Act

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 7 02:34:38 UTC 2022

Some of you have suggested you would like to testify or write if you only understood the BRITE Act. Here are some notes that may help. I have also attached what is pretty close to the actual bill if there are parts I have left unclear. If you have suggestions for modifying the notes, send them to me, and for as long as it is useful, we’ll keep it a working document.

Gary

Notes on HB 2150, the Bright Act

Starts by defining terms, everything from blind to Braille to local education agency

Makes it clear for all services that having some vision shall not disqualify the blind student from an evaluation and service based on it

No student shall be denied instruction in braille reading and writing solely because the student has some vision. During the evaluation and IEP process, consideration should be given regarding appropriate braille instruction based on a potential vision loss due to a degenerative medical diagnosis.

Instruction in Braille reading and writing shall be sufficient to enable each blind or visually impaired student to communicate effectively and efficiently at a level commensurate with the student's same age and with the student's nondisabled peers of comparable intellectual ability.

Braille shall not just be learned; it must be integrated into normal class room activities and classwork

Instruction in assistive technology

Again, AT must be integrated and not taught or thought of as a skill set on its own. It is tied to real learning, real life experience.

In terms of equipment, you must be able to take it home or have your own provided by the district

o and m instruction: home, schools, communities, and other environments as applicable, and as expected of peers of comparable intellectual ability and grade level.

Frequency and duration of training in a skill is also required

Expected outcome is always for students of similar grade level and intellectual ability

Go beyond traditional school hours

This makes clear references to federal law without restating it

Proposed law says assume you will have a blind student and have some level of preparedness so both the district and the student don't start out behind and fall further behind.

Defines standards for teachers with an emphasis on certification. I know some Braille is not good enough.