[NFBMO] Is shopping assisstant a courtesy or legal requirement?

Coccovizzo,Linda A Linda.Coccovizzo at mcckc.edu
Fri Sep 23 23:20:12 UTC 2022

Daniel and all,

I have had many conversations with O&M instructors, as well as students, as you can imagine, on this issue. I understand their reasoning for having the student call ahead. Their lessons are very time sensitive, and they are trying to teach them to be polite by scheduling a time to come into the store. However, unfortunately, I do not think it is very helpful. Even when a person is told they can get help at the time they plan on arriving at the store, the person telling them that doesn’t seem to pass the information along to anyone. When they arrive at the store, no one is aware. My thinking on having the student contact corporate in this situation, is so they will be aware of store policy, and then maybe they can then get the store to work with them. This just adds to  the learning opportunity for the student. The ADA doesn’t exactly say a business is required to assist someone in shopping. But, more that the business does not want to deny a person goods and services, based on disability. As Ben said, try and be flexible. But, also, be diplomatic. Go in if you can, and speak with store management about how you can work together to make things work for the both of you. This isn’t about getting someone in trouble for possibly passing along wrong information, but to come to an understanding as to how you can get the help you need, in a way that is most convenient for both the shopper, and the business.