[NFBMO] Your help is needed from BLIND INC. and Dick Davis

horchemg at gary-springfield-mo.net horchemg at gary-springfield-mo.net
Sun Dec 24 15:37:13 UTC 2023

BLIND, Inc. former staff and students, I need your help. What unusual
but customer focused things did BLIND do when you were there? I am
seeking things that ran counter to “one size fits all.” Here are some
examples:

A young girl and her grandpa were both blind and inseparable. We let
them attend the center at the same time. She attended the Buddy Program
and he attended either the adult or senior program, I forget. They did
things together too.

One student was volunteer coordinator of a community festival. He
attended the center part time and planned and ran the festival part
time. His city hired him after he graduated.

Another student wanted to learn to use low vision while attending the
center. He took his low vision training at VLR and his other classes at
BLIND, Inc., going into a job at the end of his training.

Another student was ineligible for anything but Medicaid. He grew up in
a homeless shelter. Because he needed a job right away, I worked with
him on finding a part time job at FedEx. I think we had to alter his
training schedule so he could work in the late afternoon. The employer’s
college program paid his way through a degree program.

I created a fake semi truck out of a small classroom and had the student
load and unload heavy boxes of Braille paper to prepare him to work at
still works there.

I arranged for students to do internships at a local care center and
work with the residents there during class hours.

We did set up individual programs where students took college classes
while attending the center at the same time. We supported them and
taught them study skills.

And of course, we always accommodated guide dog users, with only rare
problems.

Dan Wenzel and Shawn Mayo, do you remember things we did?

Two rules:

1. Don’t use anyone’s name in responding to this unless you have their
permission to do do.

2. If you don’t feel comfortable responding to this post, email me
instead at dickblind at gmail.com.

Thanks!