[NFBMT-Parents] FW: Independence Science Newsletter First Quarter 2024

rjaquiss at earthlink.net rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 15 00:27:18 UTC 2024

Hello Friends:

     I thought the following might be of interest to those in STEM fields.

Regards,

Robert

Independence Science Newsletter First Quarter 2024

Published and distributed by Independence Science
3000 Kent Ave
Suite 1718
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Phone: (866) 862-9665
Email: info at independencescience.com <mailto:info at independencescience.com>
http://www.independencescience.com
To reach Robert Jaquiss, press #4.
Email: rjaquiss at independencescience.com <mailto:rjaquiss at independencescience.com>

Robert Jaquiss, Editor

From the Editor

Happy New Year! The staff at Independence Science hope our readers are enjoying early Winter weather and had an enjoyable holiday season. This issue's Content:

*	The 2023 ISLAND conference wrap-up
*	Get ready for ISLAND2024 ·
*	Some thoughts about AI
*	Product and Service Offerings
*	Podcasts
*	Computer Science Resources
*	Tactile Adaptation Kits now available
*	Consulting Services on Science Accessibility
*	Technical tips: Brailler repair, upgrading TLQ2
*	Independence Science custom trainings for STEM Access
*	Service! PDF Remediation for Science and Mathematics
*	Meet the Element: Magnesium
*	Jokes of the Quarter
*	We want your feedback on our products
*	External announcements: Scholarships etc.
*	The Rock, an accessible comic part four
*	Conclusion: See you next quarter!

ISLAND 2023 Hybrid Conference Wrap-up

The Inclusion in Science, Learning A New Direction, Conference on Disability and STEM was held as a hybrid conference on Friday, October 13 and Saturday, October 14, 2023. We had 65 attendees.

This year’s conference was hosted by Princeton University. The presentations were very informative.

The following departments at Princeton Sponsored the ISLAND conference:

Princeton Center for Complex Materials (PCCM) NSF DMR # 2011750
Office of Information Technology, Princeton University
Campus Conversations on Identity, Princeton University
Independence Science

High-Tech and Low-Tech Solutions for Access to Outer Space for Disabled Astronauts
Dr. Sherri Wells-Jensen
NASA/Library of Congress

Blindness Memory Perks: Restructuring Access into the System
Dr. Karen Arcos
Department of Psychology, University of California, Santa Cruz

Teaching Physics with Disabled Learners: A Review of the Literature
Dr. Erin Scanlon
Department of Physics, University of Connecticut

Tactile Periodic Table Project
Dr. Michael Fricke
Olon Ricerca Bioscience

Best practices in teaching chemistry to students who are deaf and hard-of-hearing
Dr. Annmarie Ross
Rochester Institute of Technology/ National Technical Institute for the Deaf (RIT/NTID)

A Summer Class Exploring Computer Science with Educators of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students
Meghan McSherry and Maria Johnson
Playful Learning Lab, University of St. Thomas

Tactile Sun-Watching Graphics: Bridging Past and Present
Dr. Nicole E. Johnson and Tasnim A. Alshuli
University of Colorado, Boulder, Fiske Planetarium
College of Education, University of Arizona

Introducing Graduate Students to Accessible Data Visualization
Dr. Helen T. Sullivan, Dr. Markku T. Hakkinen, Jenni Arovaara Anu Horttanainen, Dr. Charles Rambo, Aino Sutinen, Saara Wahlroos
Rider University, Lawrenceville, NJ, USA University of Jyväskylä, Jyväskylä, Finland Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ, USA

Stories of Neurodiversity in STEM: Finding a Common Professional Language
Derek Hidalgo, Dylan Sullivan, Fernando Zavala, Jacob Stolle moderated by Dr. Christin Monroe panelists, Landmark College moderator, Landmark College

Learning from the Experts: Analysing Responses to the Question "Is there anything you wish professors or colleagues knew about being neurodivergent?"
Liam McDermott
Rutgers University

Possible Approaches for an Accessible CAD System for the Blind
Robert Jaquiss
Independence Science

The Semantics of Sonics
Sadish Dhakal
Independent

Wolfram Syndrome
Ellie White
Ellie White Foundation

Updates on Rapid Prototyping, Concept of the Model Lending library and the Comic featuring three blind Labradors
Robert Jaquiss
Independence Science

Access to Forensic Sciences: A Fully Accessible Murder Investigation
Ashley Neybert and Annalise Diodato
Independence Science

Banquet Keynote Address
Dr. Siegbert Schmid
Faculty of Chemistry, University of Sydney, Australia

Accessible Audio Periodic Table
Dr. Greg Williams
Independence Science

Mission INSPIRE: Increasing Conceptual Knowledge, Building Rockets, and STEM Career Exploration
Dr. Tina Herzberg and Susan Osterhaus
University of South Carolina Upstate
Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired in Austin, Texas

Feel the Difference: Using Texture to Create Meaningful Tactile Graphics
Dan Gardner
ViewPlus Technologies Inc

Non-Visual Delivery of Accurate Volumes to Improve Laboratory Access for Blind Students
Charis Glatthar
Metropolitan State University of Denver

Tigers in Tech: Roaring with Excitement over APH’s SALS and Code Jumper!
Katrina Best and Roseanne Hoffmann
American Printing House

The State of Accessible Digital Mathematics
Brian Richwine and Mary Stores
Indiana University

Inclusio: A Convergent Effort for Creating Accessible, Multimodal Graphics
Amy Keith and Dr. Jenna L. Gorlewicz
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Saint Louis University

Get ready for ISLAND2024

ISLAND Hopping in 2024
Lot’s of water

Where oh where will it be?
Across the Atlantic to Tampere, Finland

*	Week of August 26, 2024 (final date TBD)
*	Co-hosted by University of Tampere TACCU
*	Modern conference center in the new NOKIA Arena
*	Details will be coming including the call for presentations… stay tuned
*	Coordinated with other accessibility events

Tervetuloa Suomeen!
(Welcome to Finland!)

Some Thoughts About AI

It goes without saying that artificial intelligence or AI is changing our lives. Systems such as Chatgpt from Open AI or Bard from Google can help find information. For example, I recently wrote a paper on 3d printing and I needed to know the build volumes for some 3d printers. I was able to obtain the information I wanted. Some of the web sites I was trying to access were difficult to use due to rapidly changing dynamic content. AI tools solved the access problem for me. A user of AI technology must take care since sometimes AI systems hallucinate and provide erroneous information. As an example of the news stories about AI that interest the disabled community, see the information excerpted from the Top Tech Tidbits for December 21, 2023.

The URL for Top Tech Tidbits is:  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.1.1.58435350b541a562e78038afd82c0557> https://toptechtidbits.com/

10) AI Updates

A.) Did GPT-4.5 Secretly Roll Out In ChatGPT? | Matt Wolfe | YouTube

Exploring all the latest rumors around GPT 4.5. Is the hype real? Or just hallucinations

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.2.1.b538100f6f8309e5e6598aecc626c450> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpxIUpwz9U0

B) OpenAI Releases Guide To Prompt Engineering | OpenAI

This guide shares strategies and tactics for getting better results from large language models (sometimes referred to as GPT models) like GPT-4. The methods described here can sometimes be deployed in combination for greater effect. We encourage experimentation to find the methods that work best for you. Some of the examples demonstrated here currently work only with our most capable model, GPT-4. In general, if you find that a model fails at a task and a more capable model is available, it's often worth trying again with the more capable model. You can also explore example prompts which showcase what our models are capable of:

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.3.1.d07d7d5caabde9b69160c9ea667c5f09> https://platform.openai.com/docs/guides/prompt-engineering

C) Democratizing Access To AI-Enabled Coding With Colab | Google Blog

On December 19, 2023 Google announced the expansion of code assistance features to all Colab users, including users on their free-of-charge plans. Anyone in eligible locales can now try AI-powered code assistance in Colab:

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.4.1.1c6422510dd26bd327bb47ab948792af> https://blog.google/technology/ai/democratizing-access-to-ai-enabled-coding-with-colab/?ref=futuretools.io

D) ChatGPT Plus Subscriptions Have Been Turned Back On | December 13, 2023 | Sam Altman | X

Sam: We have re-enabled ChatGPT Plus Subscriptions! Thanks for your patience while we found more GPUs:

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.5.1.efee838bcdd30adb4cd28b6ab0084cef> https://twitter.com/sama/status/1734984269586457078

E) Google DeepMind Utilizes Large Language Model to Solve Previously Unsolvable Mathematics Problem | Aaron Di Blasi | Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd.

In a groundbreaking development, Google DeepMind has successfully employed a large language model to decipher a previously unsolved problem in pure mathematics. According to a paper published in Nature on December 14, 2023, this marks the first instance where a large language model has been instrumental in discovering a solution to a longstanding scientific conundrum, thereby generating verifiable and novel information that was hitherto unknown. "It's not in the training data — it wasn't even known," asserts Pushmeet Kohli, Vice President of Research at Google DeepMind:

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.6.1.7cf8897ddc63091a4d3507a2456ee27d> https://mvsltd.com/news/google-deepmind-utilizes-large-language-model-to-solve-previously-unsolvable-mathematics-problem/

F) ChatGPT Is Not Ready To Handle Web Accessibility Remediation | Karl Groves

Recently a friend shared with me a “Custom GPT” called "Accessibility Copilot". This is one of many interesting applications of ChatGPT that are arriving to market at breakneck speed, but is unfortunately not something I would rely on for effective remediation of accessibility issues:

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.7.1.2eb1142af8f98494cba546fa7ba48b38> https://karlgroves.com/chatgpt-is-not-ready-to-handle-web-accessibility-remediation/

G) 2023: The Year AI Transformed the World for Blind Individuals | Aaron Di Blasi | Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd.

Here I highlight the significant advancements in artificial intelligence (AI) in 2023 with regard to assistive technologies for the visually impaired. The 2023 Sight Tech Global conference recently showcased many of these innovations, including the collaboration between Be My Eyes and OpenAI's GPT-4, leading to the development of Be My AI. Other notable advancements included AYES.AI's OKO app for street navigation, Envision's smart glasses integrated with GPT-4, and Meta's AI-enabled wearable technologies offering voice navigation and AI-assisted interactions. The conference also highlighted the ethical challenges of AI in accessibili consideration of privacy and ethical integrity in technological advancements:

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.8.1.c21ff3a049be6ada217e717aac0b7d80> https://mvsltd.com/news/2023-the-year-ai-transformed-the-world-for-blind-individuals/

H) 12 Things Microsoft Copilot Can Do On Windows 11 That You Really Should Know About | Mauro Huculak | WindowsCentral.com

Copilot can do much more than answer questions on different topics, and in this guide, I'll show you features to get the most out of the chatbot AI:

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.9.1.eb8df4db99eff0483ae5fdbdc43c1f7a> https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/12-things-microsoft-copilot-can-do-on-windows-11-that-you-really-should-know-about

I) Thanks To Suno On Copilot, You Can Now Use AI To Make Music | MSPowerUser.com

A new plugin has just arrived on Copilot. It's called Suno. Suno lets you create music using AI regardless of your musical background/knowledge. Simply toggle the plugin on and then write your prompts:

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.10.1.453f233b72cbf41ad85b123e089bcd18> https://mspoweruser.com/thanks-to-suno-on-copilot-you-can-use-ai-to-make-music/

J) Seleste Glasses — Hands-Free AI Assistive Technology For The Blind | Carrie on Accessibility | YouTube

In this recent episode of the Epic Ally Podcast, Carrie from “Carrie on Accessibility” delved into the world of assistive technology through an enlightening interview with Shubh Mittal, CEO of Seleste. The focus was on the innovative Seleste Glasses, a product that stands at the forefront of assistive tech development. Carrie's excitement about the product's potential was palpable as she explored its features and implications for the visually impaired community:

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.11.1.f82fbfa5a38828899b4e630490a6bfab> https://carrieonaccessibility.com/?p=996&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=seleste-glasses-hands-free-ai-assistive-technology-for-the-blind

K) Apple Isn't Standing Still On Generative AI, And Making Human Models Dance Is Proof | Apple Insider

Apple has released a research paper discussing what it calls HUGS, a generative AI technology that can create a digital human avatar from a brief video in about 30 minutes:

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.12.1.ba92329998005ed65af966dfcf485aed> https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/12/19/apple-isnt-standing-still-on-generative-ai-and-making-human-models-dance-is-proof?utm_medium=rss

L) Now You Can Talk to an AI Santa Claus With Fixie's HiSanta.ai | David Goldfield

I couldn't resist writing about this very cool Santa AI. HiSanta.ai is a conversational AI from Fixie, which provides conversational AI chat agents. HiSanta consists of two different Santa Claus personas, the nice, friendly Santa and the grumpy bad Santa. Deselecting the check box on the main page gives you access to the grumpy Santa, which I found to be extremely entertaining. It honestly had me laughing harder than I've laughed in quite some time. This service took me back to that nostalgic excitement that I remember as a kid when I heard about new phone numbers offering some new form of phone-based entertainment. To use this service you'll need to ensure that your browser has permission to use your device's microphone, at least on this particular site. Enjoy!

 <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.13.1.70b83c29f310e1ffd71f3b66c492f302> https://davidgoldfield.wordpress.com/2023/12/20/now-you-can-talk-to-an-ai-santa-claus-with-fixies-hisanta-ai/

Three AI services that I have used are:

Ask AI:  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.14.1.4560cdd3b513d9ebc8d1d2baece72a02> https://iask.ai/

Bard from Google:  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.15.1.72bfd6fd7535bbef98dc3cdbb7beb5d0> https://bard.google.com/

Copilot with GPT-4:  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.16.1.d6bda565b93c935beb2a2d55e3a2096c> http://chat.bing.com/

In conclusion, use AI with care and remember that AI cannot make value judgements.

Product and Service Offerings

Group for BLV Community members using 3d Printers

There is a new group that discusses issues related to accessing 3d printers by those in the BLV community. The name of the group is: 3d-Printing-Access

The website is:  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.17.1.5e5f598ad2525954c4dff435797088e3> https://groups.io/g/3d-Printing-Access

Podcasts

There are a variety of science related podcasts. Many are available on an iPhone. Paid subscriptions result in add free podcasts. I have used a Humanware Victor Stream and this device will download free versions of podcasts.

I find the history of science interesting, so I subscribed to Patented a podcast in the HistoryHit group.

An example podcast is one on the thermos flask:  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.18.1.223d73d9cdac41aa576721d9509c403a> https://shows.acast.com/patented-history-of-inventions/episodes/thermos-flask-a-hot-and-cold-history

The Patented podcast is no longer being produced, but the content is still available.

More information on HistoryHit podcasts can be found on the site:  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.19.1.8d0254a3adfde429ffc26eeda6d0993d> www.historyhit.com

NPR's Science Friday and TED Talk are available from NPR.

The Scientific American also has short science podcasts. This article wouldn’t be complete without the mention of the Tumble Media podcasts which are also available.

Computer Science Resources

The Independence Science website has a section devoted to Computer Science Resources. Please see the link:  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.20.1.911833c76c97f3f590fd0922790443c6> https://independencescience.com/computer-science-resources/

Tactile Adaptation Kit and LabGear Kits Now Available!

The Tactile Adaptation Kit and LabGear kits are now available. These two multi-sensory kits have proven to be valuable resources for teachers of Blind and low vision students by helping to make science learning more accessible in a hands-on way. Parents will also find these kits of use. The Tactile Adaptation Kit includes materials to make tactile representations in numerous ways, along with an instruction manual documenting different methods and illustrative examples. The LabGear kit includes an instruction manual illustrating how students can use adapted measuring tools in their middle and high school laboratory learning experiences. For more information, or to order, please call us at (866) 862-9665 or email  <mailto:info at independencescience.com> info at independencescience.com.

Consulting Services on Science Access

Independence Science offers consulting services to make STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) classes more accessible to blind and low vision students. We provide both individual and group training to faculty teaching STEM classes to students who are blind or vision impaired. For more information, please contact Independence Science at  <mailto:consulting at independencescience.com> consulting at independencescience.com

Technical Tips

The following technical tips are offered in hopes they may be of use. Due to the many possible variations in PCs and equipment, Independence Science cannot be responsible for any undesirable outcomes.

*	Sending mail using “FREE MATTER FOR THE BLIND” Here is a link to a USPS publication outlining how to use free matter postage for the blind and physically handicapped.  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.21.1.de4d140d3797f1edadfc23e8b836902f> https://about.usps.com/publications/pub347/pub347_v03_revision_102015.htm?fbclid=IwAR0vjfgNlCLkKx2MGFQzkclJKYx_tbGH6NyAGUAjMoWC3btrFoApp5JWvM8
*	Sharon's Shortcuts - How to Use a PC without the Mouse Sharon's Shortcuts is a site containing information on shortcuts for several Microsoft products. See the site:  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.22.1.dbe6b2a43adbbfb8eef9a2ec060556e2> https://sharons-shortcuts.ie/
*	Immersive Reader - Immersive Reader is a Microsoft Edge feature that simplifies the layout of text and reduces clutter. Use it on pages where it is available to read continuously, bypassing ads and other page content. This can include pages containing content such as articles, blog posts, and recipes. JAWS provides notification if Immersive Reader is available when the page loads. To enable Immersive Reader: Press F9 to activate Immersive Reader. JAWS indicates it is active. Read the article or blog using standard reading and navigation commands. Press CTRL+HOME to navigate to the top of the page, then press DOWN ARROW to review the Immersive Reader buttons. These include: Read Aloud Text Preferences Reading Preferences Unpin Toolbar (if the tool bar isn’t pinned, you will have the option to pin it instead.) Press F9 to turn off Immersive Reader.
*	With Winter upon us, remember to keep phones warm. Lithium ion batteries tend to fail when cold.
*	Some computer programming books in EPUB format may not display computer code correctly when read with access technology. One solution can be to download the book in Word format. Having a book in Word format also allows the user to remove annoying characters.
*	For many of us, a classic Perkins brailler is still an essential tool. If you need to get yours repaired, here is a link to a list of brailler repair services:  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.23.1.ad1298cf5f761b4d39507cc047a185b0> https://nfb.org/resources/braille-resources/braillewriter-repair-resources
*	Warning! Independence Science strongly advises all current and future IS customers to not upgrade the operating system on their Sci-Voice Talking LabQuest 2 device without being notified by Independence Science. There are other versions of operating systems that are not compatible with the text-to-speech features of Sci-Voice Talking LabQuest. Therefore, we strongly advise all ISci customers to not upgrade the OS on your device without prior notification. Failure to do so will likely disable the text-to-speech on your device.

Independence Science Custom Trainings

Independence Science now offers custom-designed trainings in STEM access. Do you know someone interested in STEM? If so, we can offer them an individually tailored curriculum based on their specific science interests and skillset needs with professional blind science instructors.

Some of our frequently requested trainings include:

*	Laboratory Safety
*	Hiring and Managing Assistants
*	Dissections
*	Microscopy
*	Titrations
*	Optics •
*	Learning Basic Code

Additional topics and advanced topics are available. Call us today to start a discussion for a custom training at (866) 862-9665 or e-mail  <mailto:%20info at independencescience.com> info at independencescience.com. All trainings have a minimum of 2:1 teacher to customer ratio.

PDF Remediation for STEM

Struggling with inaccessible PDFs in science and math? Independence Science is here to help! We know that professionally done accessible PDFs are hard to come by so we now offer PDF Remediation services for individuals, schools, teachers, and more!

Imagine not having to worry about data loss, and wrestle with inaccessible research articles or class assignments, handbooks, calendars, or posters. Instead you will have beautifully tagged PDFs with headings, image descriptions, and proper reading order that will work with screen readers without needing OCR processing commands. Simply send us your PDF for a confidential and risk-free estimate. Only pay for the time you use and never pay any more than the estimate in your quote even if extra time is required. We can transfer to Word or HTML if preferred. Have your science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) images described by science content experts! It’s a win-win!

For a quote or for more information, contact us today at  <mailto:pdf at independencescience.com> pdf at independencescience.com or visit  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.24.1.dbcbd412db36b19f98340585e227498a> https://independencescience.com/pdf-file-remediation/ for example projects.

Video of Halibut Point

Here is a short video that highlights the importance of place when exploring Earth & space. The video describes Halibut point in Massachusetts. Note, adds may interrupt the video.  <https://email.cloud.secureclick.net/c/12193?id=83.25.1.379e556812aebe96a5d23ae3903a6e1b> https://youtu.be/depe6N9ny_s

Meet the Element: Magnesium

Hi, my name is Magnesium and I hang out at atomic number 12. I am a metal and my symbol is Mg. I am the eighth most abundant element in the earth's crust. In appearance, I am a shiny gray solid. I don't occur naturally in a pure state.

The credit for my isolation as a pure metal goes to Sir Humphry Davy, who in 1808, successfully extracted me from my oxide using electrolysis.

My melting point is 650 degrees Celsius (1202 degrees Fahrenheit). This makes it easy to melt and cast me into various shapes. I am used to make alloys with aluminum, zinc and lithium. My alloys are light and strong and I am used in the aircraft and aerospace industries. I am important for your good health.

Historically, I was used for illumination purposes, you could say I have a flare for lighting up the scene. As a powder I formed the flash for early photographers. I am used to help people start camp fires.

Well you know more about me! Always here and gone in a flash!

Jokes of the Quarter

Q: What did the math book say to the chemistry book?