[Nfbmt] Fwd: National Federation of the Blind Congratulates Dr. Fredric K. Schroeder

Edward Robbins ecrobbins517 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:00:18 UTC 2012

From: Nfbmt [mailto:nfbmt-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Dan Burke
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:50 PM
To: NFB of Montana Discussion List
Subject: [Nfbmt] Fwd: National Federation of the Blind Congratulates Dr.

From: "Freeh, Jessica" <JFreeh at nfb.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 19:21:27 +0000
Subject: National Federation of the Blind Congratulates Dr. Fredric K.
To: Adelmo Vigil <avigil74 at gmail.com>, "State President, Puerto Rico"

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Chris Danielsen
Director of Public Relations
National Federation of the Blind
(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410) 262-1281 (Cell)
cdanielsen at nfb.org<mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>

National Federation of the Blind Congratulates Dr. Fredric K. Schroeder

NFB First Vice President Elected to Office in World Blind Union

Baltimore, Maryland (November 27, 2012): The National Federation of the
Blind<http://www.nfb.org> (NFB), the oldest and largest nationwide
organization of the blind in the United States and a world leader in
advocating for the rights of blind people,  today announced that Dr.
Fredric K. Schroeder<https://nfb.org/fredric-schroeder> has been elected as
first vice president of the World Blind Union (WBU).  Dr.
Schroeder, who also serves as first vice president of the NFB, was elected
to the position at the Eighth General Assembly of the World Blind Union,
recently held in Bangkok, Thailand.

Dr. Marc Maurer<http://www.nfb.org/marc-maurer-bio>, President of the
National Federation of the Blind<http://www.twitter.com/NFB_voice>,
said: "We congratulate our longtime friend, colleague, and leader Fred
Schroeder on his election as first vice president of the World Blind Union.
Fred will bring invaluable skill, experience, and knowledge to the many
challenges faced by blind people throughout the world, as he has done so
capably for blind Americans throughout his career."

Dr. Schroeder said: "I am honored to have the opportunity to represent the
blind of the United States within the World Blind Union, and I look forward
to helping to advance the WBU's important agenda to improve the lives of
blind people across the globe.  I thank the members of the WBU for placing
their trust and confidence in me."

Dr. Schroeder has a long and distinguished career in service to the blind.
He served as the first executive director of the New Mexico Commission for
the Blind.  His success in making its rehabilitation and employment programs
the most successful in the country led to his appointment in 1994 by
President Bill Clinton as commissioner of the Rehabilitation Services
Administration (RSA) in the United States Department of Education.
Following his service as RSA commissioner, he joined the faculty of the
Interwork Institute at San Diego State University.  He now works as a
research professor specializing in leadership and public policy in
vocational rehabilitation, and also serves as president of the Virginia
affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind.<http://www.nfbv.org/>

The National Federation of the Blind needs your support to ensure that blind
children get an equal education, to connect blind veterans with the training
and services they need, and to help seniors who are losing vision continue
to live independent and fulfilling lives. To make a donation, please go to
www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>.

###

About the National Federation of the Blind The National Federation of the
Blind (NFB) is the oldest, largest, and most influential nationwide
membership organization of blind people in the United States.  Founded in
1940, the NFB advocates for the civil rights and equality of blind
Americans, and develops innovative education, technology, and training
programs to provide the blind and those who are losing vision with the tools
they need to become independent and successful.  We need your support.  To
make a donation, please go to www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>

--
Dan Burke, President
The National Federation of the Blind of Montana

Visit us on Face Book at http://bit.ly/nfbmtfb My Cell:  406.546.8546