[Nfbmt] Fwd: November-December CCB newsletter

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 00:04:49 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Colorado Center <ccb at cocenter.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 20:57:28 +0000
Subject: November-December CCB newsletter
To: Colorado Center <ccb at cocenter.org>

COLORADO CENTER FOR THE BLIND
2233 W. Shepperd Ave.
Littleton, CO  80120
303-778-1130   800-401-4632
ccb at cocenter.org    www. cocenter.org

November-December 2013 Newsletter

Take charge with confidence and self-reliance

Message from the Director

November and December are months of thanks, giving and reflection. At
the Center, we want our students to give back to others throughout the
year.  So often the general public feels that blind people should
receive because they feel that being blind would be devastating and
the end of the world.  We impart a positive philosophy and are
teaching everyone that blind people must take full responsibility in
order to compete equally with their peers.  This empowers our youth,
adults and seniors.  They know that they are not inferior and they
want to give to others.

The mentoring and role modeling that happens each day makes all the
difference in the world. The other day one of our seniors said, “I
know that I am blind and I can deal with this.”  Just last night one
of our staff members met a six year old boy at a Christmas party and
he said, “I have a cane just like yours!”  Each day so much happens at
the Center to increase our students’ confidence.  In addition to this,
we love showing everyone around us that being blind is a
characteristic and that we can accomplish whatever we set out to do!

I want to thank each and every one of you for your ongoing support for
without all of you, we would not have the Colorado Center for the
Blind.

Colorado Gives Day is December 10th!
On Tuesday, December 10th, we are once again participating in Colorado
Gives Day<https://www.coloradogives.org/CoCenter/overview>.  This is
our annual fundraising campaign.  With a gift from you on December
10th, we have the opportunity to receive additional funds through the
generosity of the Community First Foundation and FirstBank.  The
minimum contribution is $10, and even that modest amount makes a
difference when combined with the gifts of others on Colorado Gives
Day!

Go directly to the Colorado Center’s Colorado Gives Day page at:
https://www.coloradogives.org/CoCenter/overview
You can go early and schedule a gift or plan to make your gift next
Tuesday, December 10th.  You can also make your gift a recurring one;
say, a monthly contribution to the Colorado Center for the Blind.

If you have questions or need some help with your donation, please
call Kimberley at 303-778-1130 x212.  Thanks everyone!

Put Your Social Media to Work for the CCB!
Yes, you can help us with a gift on December 10th during Colorado
Gives Day<https://www.coloradogives.org/CoCenter/overview>, but you
can also help us spread the word about the Colorado Center for the
Blind!  Visit our Face Book
page<file:///C:\Users\dburke\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary%20Internet%20Files\Content.Outlook\VWHC6QLG\facebook.com\coloradocenterfortheblind>
and “like” us, “like” or share our posts about Colorado Gives Day so
that your FB friends can consider supporting the Colorado Center for
the Blind on December 10th, too!  By the way, we only need 31 more
“Likes” on our Face Book page to reach the 500 mark!

You can follow us on Twitter,
@CoCenter4Blind<https://www.coloradogives.org/CoCenter/overview>, and
help spread the word with re-tweets!

Program Notes
Youth Program
In November, over 30 middle school and high school students from the
Denver metro area had an opportunity to learn about and dissect
dogfish sharks.  Thanks to Arapahoe Community College and Terry
Harrison, chair of the biology department, blind students learned that
they could fully handle all aspects of the dissection.  Too often
blind students do not have this opportunity in school as their
instructors are not sure about the methods to use to make science
accessible.

We are happy to work with science, math, industrial arts, and home
economic teachers to show them techniques that they can use when they
are working with a blind student.

Open House
On Friday, December 13th, we are hosting an event for parents, their
blind kids and teachers.  This event will begin at 2:00 pm.  We will
have various activities for everyone to try out in the areas of
science, art, cooking and Braille.  Please come to celebrate the
holidays and learn.

Independence Training Program
On November 21st we all gathered together to enjoy a delicious
Thanksgiving meal prepared by our students.  Four turkeys were
prepared along with ham.  We had mashed potatoes, two types of
stuffing and gravy, glazed carrots, all kinds of appetizers and apple,
pecan and pumpkin pie.  Our tradition on this day is to have everyone
talk about what they are grateful for.  Every year I feel so lucky to
be a part of the Center.

About every six months, the students take a speech class and then
deliver a five minute speech to all staff and students at the Center.
I learned so much about each student and was inspired by the passion
that they conveyed in their speeches.

Congratulations to Shane who will be returning to Sacramento where he
works at the Society for the Blind.  He has completed his immersion
training as he is interested in obtaining his professional
certification in orientation and mobility.  I know that Shane will be
successful.  Bianca will be completing her program and is in the
process of obtaining a job playing the piano at various facilities.
She has worked hard and truly gained her independence.  Nate has not
been blind for long.  He has mastered Braille, computer technology, is
a good cook and an excellent cane traveler.  Nate previously worked as
a journalist and has already had a couple of interviews in this field.
 I am certain that he will find a great job.  He is looking forward to
having more time with his kids, as well.  Garrett will return to
Arizona to attend college.  He serves as president of the Arizona
Association of Blind Students and has excellent leadership qualities.
Michelle was the president of the Center’s student association.  She
worked well with everyone and got the students busy in extracurricular
activities.  She plans to obtain employment.  Her confidence is
contagious.

Senior Program
Our seniors have been busy taking classes in technology, Braille and
cooking.  They made delicious apple crisp and always have new ideas
about what they want to prepare.  Many of them are learning how to use
the iPad with voice over.  Several of the seniors shopped for gifts to
give to seniors in need.  Many of them had never shopped using
alternative techniques.  They are looking forward to their annual
holiday party.

Senior groups are available weekly.  For more information, please call
Duncan Larsen at 303-778-1130 extension 226.

To refer someone who is interested in training, please call Robert
Dyson at 303-778-1130 extension 249.

If you have items for the newsletter, please send them to
ccb at cocenter.org<mailto:ccb at cocenter.org>.

Colorado Center for the Blind
2233 W. Shepperd Ave.
Littleton, CO  80120
303-778-1130
303-778-1598
ccb at cocenter.org<mailto:ccb at cocenter.org>
www.cocenter.org<http://www.cocenter.org>

Take charge with confidence and self-reliance

--
Dan Burke
My Cell:  406.546.8546