[Nfbmt] [Action Alert] HB 428 Hearing Friday, February 15 at 8:00 AM

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 15:54:48 UTC 2013

Here's what I posted to the Legislature's web message sysem for the
House State Administration. Please note that we are not opposing this
bill because it is a mail ballot, but because it makes no provisions
for accessible voting.

****

Madame Chair and Members of the Committee -

The National Federation of the Blind of Montana opposes HB428 because
it makes no provisions for accessible voting for blind and other
Montanans with disabilities. Further, permitting that there need be
only one drop off location creates additional accessibility issues for
voters who do not drive due to disability, forcing us to rely on a
third party to mark our ballots or not to vote at all.

Having at long last secured the inalienable right to private and
independent voting under HAVA, we want more of it, not less.  This
bill strikes me as a re-tread from previous sessions, and yet is still
only half-formed. Please vote "no."

Respectfully,
Dan Burke, President NFB MT

****