[Nfbmt] HB498 to change time ID is valid

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 23:35:44 UTC 2013

**sorry if there are duplicates**

Greetings - Our bill is up for hearing this week, and needs your urgent action!

HB498
Short Title:  Generally revise state issue identification requirements

Hearing Wednesday, February 20 at 8:00 a.m. House State Administration Committee
Room 455 of the Capitol

We requested this legislation in order to correct an unfairness in the
state law regarding the periods for which a state ID card is valid as
compared to a state driver's license.  Currently, the ID is good for
four years, and the driver's license is good for eight.

*	This bill would change the period for which a Montana-issued ID car
(non-driver's license) is valid from four years to eight years for
those 21 years or older;
*	For those under the age of 21, the ID card would be valid until
their 21st birthday.

Thus those of us who are unable to drive because of a disability will
receive equal treatment under Montana law with respect to state-issued
identification.  In addition,we will be spared the inconvenience of
renewing our ID cards twice as often as our fellow Montanans who can
drive must renew their licenses.

Read more at:
Law's Bill Detailed Information Page
http://laws.leg.mt.gov/legprd/LAW0203W$BSRV.ActionQuery?P_SESS=20131&P_BLTP_BILL_TYP_CD=&P_BILL_NO=&P_BILL_DFT_NO=LC1956&P_CHPT_NO=&Z_ACTION=Find&P_SBJT_SBJ_CD=&P_ENTY_ID_SEQ=

Bill Language
http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2013/billhtml/HB0498.htm

What to do now
Come to the hearing on Wednesday at 8 a.m.!  I'll be there, and I
don't want to be lonely!

In you absolutely can't make it, contact H-Administration Committee,
say your are a member of the NFB of Montana and that you support
HB498, sponsored by Rep. Ellie Hill,  to make state ID cards valid for
8 years instead of four, and to make things fair for blind Montanans.

One call, one online message is all it will take!

By Telephone
The Legislative Information Desk
(406) 444-4800
7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays and 8 a.m. to adjournment on Saturdays.

Online
You can leave a message via the online contact form for H-State
Administraition committee, just check the box for Committee and in
this case select H-State Administration

http://leg.mt.gov/css/Sessions/63rd/legwebmessage.asp

Best,
Dan

--
Dan Burke, President
The National Federation of the Blind of Montana

Visit us on Face Book at http://bit.ly/nfbmtfb
My Cell:  406.546.8546