[Nfbmt] Fwd: [Trainer-talk] Another Resource for Visually Impaired Apple users

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 23:45:22 UTC 2013

I use a Droid 4 smart phone and dabble with Apple I pads and IPods.  The
Nexus 7 would be the Android version of the Ipad Mini.  Either is a good
choice insofar as tablets go.  Accessibility is excellent in both.  The
Nexus 7 uses either Talkback, Spiel, or Mobile Accessibility.  There is a
really extensive review of the Nexus 7 on the podcast, "That Android Show."
Just Google the show name and listen to the most recent edition.

The Apple stuff uses Voiceover, and you won't go wrong choosing it on any
platform.  My preference is for Android because I like the openness of the
system.  Apple controls everything, and it's too hard to experiment with
apps and features insofar as a comparison with Android goes.  Also, Android
stuff is generally a lot cheaper.

I like my Droid 4 smart phone because it has a physical keyboard.  Touch
typing on a screen is terribly slow for me, although I bet a person gets
better at over time.  There's an app called Flexi that makes typing on a
touch screen easier.  Right now, it's only on Apple, but an Android version
is coming soon.

My Droid 4 phone's GPS is wonderful, and an app to use the Droid as a scan
and read tool just came out that's really amazing.  It's called Scanthing.
I also use my phone to read e-mail, browse the web, identify money, to
monitor Twitter and Facebook, read Newsline newspapers and magazines and
Bookshare books, identify colors on clothing, etc.

One consideration is the learning curve.  Android has poor documentation
compared to Apple.  Almost everything documentation for either is third
party.  Android documentation tends to be more scattered.

Those who like to tinker with things will like Android better than Apple.
Apple is designed to work the same way all the time.  Android lets
developers have more free rein, so the results can be a bit bumpy.  The two
platforms rob ideas from one another a lot.  Every day, the begin to
function more and more alike as a result.

Hope this info helps!

Jim Marks
Blind.grizzly at gmail.com