[Nfbmt] 2013 convention

Rik James montanarikster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 17:55:07 UTC 2013

I am home safe and sound.
Tired, yes. But energized, too.

I heard tons of great information.
Re-connected with lots of old friends and colleagues.
And met many many new people, too. It was truly a great gathering.
I am sorry that some of you could not attend. But there is always our state
convention in late October and there is next year's national. Please plan to
come to both, okay?

I was just busting out so proud of SO very many of our fellow Federationists
this week.
And especially proud of our new Montana affiliate, charted at the banquet on
Saturday night.
Dr. Mauer was very gracious in its presentation. And our President, Travis
Moses gave a wonderful speech on our behalf as he accepted the charter.
When he came  back to the Montana table we all got our hands on it and were
just all goose pimply and proud.
Congratulations, everyone.

And finally, thank you very much, Sheila and Harold for your wonderful
presentations to the entire convention during the general sessions. That was
really special. It made this convention even more special.

As you know, I had been much less involved with the affiliate, for a number
of years. And had not attended a national convention either for several
years. But some of you continued on, and thankfully Dr. Mauer met Harold and
Sheila last November and this sub-minimum wage issue and provision 14c Fair
Wage Standards Act issue came to strong prominence again and to his
attention with him meeting with the Lieglands being in Missoula last
November. So right there, it said to me that I am glad some of you kept
going to the state conventions. Good for you.

Let's keep growing and keep doing things that must be done to work on our
many many issues to see that blind people in Montana and everywhere have a
fair shot at an education and a job, and more.

Oh yes, and thanks to Dan Burke, who has been so steady, and such a great
friend lo these many years.
He must be tired today. He was busy, busy, busy, leading the convention
ambassador volunteers.
And by the way, thanks to Linda Hurlock who worked so hard as an ambassador,
too. You pointed me in the right direction at least 2 or 3 times!

Finally, thanks to George Kerscher, Cindy Letcher, Ted Robbins, Travis
Moses, Jim Aldrich, Dar Aldrich, Jeff Haworth, Harold Lieglland, Sheila
Liegland, Linda Hurlock.
I think there were 11 in all, right?
You were a fantastic delegation representing the newly chartered affiliate,
The NFB of Montana.  Hooray!

I am sure that most all of you know how much this meant to all of us.
It was a really big deal. And so much fun, too!

Thanks.
Rik James