[Nfbmt] How should I put this?

James Aldrich jkaldrich at samobile.net
Sat Jun 22 15:59:52 UTC 2013

Hi all!

It is almost like old times again when I use to step on the old soap
box and speak my mind! I'll first say I feel Harold and Sheila did well
on the NBC TV program last night!  I hope we will be able to see this
video again on our NFB website till section 14C is repealed!

Now is it me, or do others remember hearing how different the State Of
Montana is from the rest of the country!  I think I heard this many
times!  We don't have the problems of the rest of the United States!
Montana is so unique in this way! Many felt then the MAB should be its
own organization reflecting the uniqueness of our state!  Outside
interests should stay away!  Wow!  I wonder what Virginia Sutich,
Phyllis Honka, perhaps Emil Honka, Keith E. Denton  and Sharon Cromeans
are   thinking now as they enjoy the great beyond?

Those of us who have participated with the NFB for a number of years
knew that this was simply bunk! Never mind the fact that a board member
couldn't get into the meeting room at the Yogo Inn in Louistown when
she tried to come into the restaurant with her guide dog. Never mind
the fact this particular incident persuaded the board to work on our
Montana White Cane Law which originated from the Model White Cane Law
written by Doctor Jacobus TenBroek. That's about as NFB as it can get!
Oh no!  Montana is unique!  We don't have the problems of other states!
Balderdash!  Harold and Sheila put this nonsense to rest when they were
on National TV last night!  I feel Lelia Proctor didn't buy into this
fallacy either!  Perhaps some could prove this from her past writings!
Maggie Bullock proved to me how false all of this was when our vending
program was completely shut down on the state level.  Some venders
worked for the federal government since our government had to keep post
office Vending Stands opened, but those within the state were closed!
Of course, we now have a new Vending program thanks to many of us here!

Montana has a rich history of being a part of an organized blind
movement! We certainly share this history since many of us rubbed
shoulders with those who brought the MAB into being!  Unfortunately,
the MAB couldn't keep straight its mission and goals!  It was then and
still is filled with many factions!  It never could come together as it
should for the benefit of all blind Montanans.

Thank Goodness! This is a new day and a new generation! The NFB Of
Montana came into its own this past November!  Perhaps this should have
occured 30 years ago!  No matter!  It happened!  We had influenced
legislation to have our Montana ID cards match the time of a Montana
Driver's license!  A Montana Senator cosponsored the Veterans bill for
having Blinded Veterans share available air space on military planes.
Many during the last Voc Rehab hearing felt Newsline should be a part
of the Voc Rehab Budget!  Perhaps there are other accomplishments I
have forgotten now that I'm writing but we are off to a great start!
We know who we are and we'll never go  back!  Now!  Montana was on
National TV last night with the Good Will matter of sub minimum wages!
This to me was remarkable!  This is only the beginning!  no doubt!  We
will witness and participate in so much more!  Montana is finally a
part of the 21st century when it comes to being a part of the Organized
blind!  This won't be easy but we can truly say the NFB through the NFB
Of Montana is a phone call away! We are on this listserv, we are on
Facebook!  We are here for all Blind Montanans!

Thanks for allowing me to rant a bit!

Jim Aldrich
First Vice-President
National Federation Of The Blind Of Montana
(406) 698-3729
jkaldrich at samobile.net