[Nfbmt] Bus transport in MT

Rebecca Stewart becca33 at bresnan.net
Fri Nov 1 03:54:00 UTC 2013

Hi guys.  When I spoke to Jerry he did emphasize that there does need to be
more riders when we get service restored or we may run the risk of losing it
again and I fear next time that we may not get it back.  I might point out
however that Jerry and his group of drivers who are trying to pull this all
together aren't the only ones who are working to get this going again.  I
spoke to my contact at the bus station here on Monday and I called the DOT
the same day and both sources told me that there are several different
busing companies they are talking to in order to try to get service
restored.  I have twothings to point out though.  First, because there are
so many different companies that may wind up servicing different parts of
the state, it may be virtually impossible to get all the routes tied
together in a fashion that would make it an efficient system to use.  I only
hope that the people who have experience with fashioning bus routes will
have ahand in tying it all together.  For example, I am concerned that in
order for a passenger to get from point a to point b he/ she may wind up
spending half a day sitting in a bus station waiting to make a connection or
have to stay over night in a city, waiting to catch a return bus.  I'm
hoping we can get service with similar scheduling to what was offered
before.  Buses heading both directions on a route twice a day so you can
travel there in the morning, get your business done and travel home in the
evening.  Some of what I've heard so far indicates that initially, at least,
it may not be so convenient.  The people I've spoken to all indicate that we
will have service restored in some fashion by the end of the year though.
My second concern is about how the information about route schedules will be
delivered to the public.  In the past, a person could call a phone number to
get touch tone service to find out about the Greyhound bus schedule but you
had to go on a web site to get information about the Rim Rock schedule.  It
seems to me that if all the companies that will be servicing our state have
their information all tied together at one source, it would be much easier
to plan a trip on the bus.