[Nfbmt] Who uses what e-mail technology?

Bruce&Joy Breslauer bjb5757 at bresnan.net
Sat Nov 2 00:33:55 UTC 2013

Speaking of phones, as we weren't, the cell phone I currently use is a
Samsung Haven.  It's a flip phone.  It's not fancy, in fact it's not even
being made any more I don't think, but was being marketed to "old fogies".
You can change the font or back-light the screen, neither one of which means
anything to me since I can't see any more.  It does have a function on it
where you can turn on speech, though, and when you do, you can have it so
the numbers speak to you or not, and you can have it read text messages you
receive and also read text messages that you are sending.  You can download
ringtones to it.  It has a driving mode so you can say "call Jim" and it
will.  It has an alarm, a calculator, a calendar, a stopwatch, and several
other features that can be made accessible with speech.  You can find, read,
and edit or delete your contact list.  You can rename things.  It will store
pictures.  It has a place where you can store three emergency phone numbers
and your medical information.  It doesn't do e-mail.  My kids text and don't
answer their phones, so I got it in self-defense so I could text with them.
That's also why I got on FaceBook, to find out what my kids are up to and
what they are saying, although I don't like it very much.  FaceBook, I mean.
My grandkids were tickled that Grandma finally joined the 21st century.
Anyway, using the Haven, you can text by character or by word, but word is
much faster.  You only have the standard phone keypad to text with, so you
have to learn which numbers mean which letters.  I have done it so long now
I don't even think about the number-letter thing any more.  I googled phones
for the blind and found a couple of other ones that are still being made
that are something like the Haven, with features you can turn on or off
depending on your accessibility needs, but I don't remember what they are
now.  I certainly could look them up again, though, if anybody is
interested.  You don't have to have a smart phone to make a phone call.  I
haven't convinced myself yet that a flat screen is what I want to use for
texting, so I haven't crossed over to the Apple I-Products yet, although we
have a couple in case we ever do.

Joy