[Nfbmt] grilling and more

Bruce&Joy Breslauer bjb5757 at bresnan.net
Sat Nov 2 18:20:42 UTC 2013

Well, there's grilling and then there's grilling.  When Dar talks about
grilling, she grills on an electric grill outside.  We have a gas one.  I
prefer the taste of charcoal but have not been brave enough to try that yet.
I know it can be done, but I also know that even sighted people can get very
badly burned if they don't follow safety precautions.

When my dad used to start the charcoal, he put it in a tall round tower
thing like a tall coffee can with both ends cut out, if you're old enough to
remember when coffee came in cans.  Then he would toss a few strips of
newspaper or some other kindling in it and throw a match in and let it sit
for about ten or twenty minutes, I'm not sure of the time, and then when you
lift off the tower thing and spread the coals out, they're already going and
then you can cook over them.  I know it's not as fast or convenient as gas
or electricity, but the flavor is so superior if you don't burn things.  I
know grilling is an art and best done by indirect heat.  I also know that
flames can flare up when grease or something spatters into the coals.  I
think if you keep a spray bottle of water handy you can stop that.  I'm not
great at grilling, but my husband is.  One of these days maybe he'll let me
have a crack at it.  LOL

We have an electric charcoal starter that we got as a gift once, and I'm
more scared of that thing than I am of the charcoal.  You plug it in and it
is an oval of some kind of metal that heats up to something like 1200
degrees.  You're supposed to put it on the grill with charcoal around it and
it heats up the charcoal.  Sorry, too scary for me.  I know they make
charcoal with the lighter additive already in it, and that would be easier
to light evenly, I would suspect.

You can also buy gloves that are heat resistant and maybe that would help
with grilling.  I saw some once on QVC or somewhere where the person wearing
the glove plunged their hand right into boiling water to get out a potato or
something.  No way would you do that with your bare hands.

So you can bet that most of the time if somebody wants to do something
without sight, somebody has figured out a way to do it.

I remember once at church somebody came up to me and asked me a question on
behalf of their dad or whoever it was that was losing their sight and
thought I might have an answer to her question from my experience.  From her
reaction to my answer, I don't think she thought the answer would be as
simple and sensible as the one I gave her.  She said that whoever this
relative was that was losing their sight was having such a terrible time
putting toothpaste on the toothbrush and making a mess, and wondered if I
had an idea.  I said yes, get his own personal tube of toothpaste and make
sure he has it and knows where it is, and then when he wants to use it, he
can just squeeze a little in his mouth and use the brush to brush his teeth.
No fuss, no muss.  Just make sure it's toothpaste.  Some other stuff in
tubes tastes pretty awful.

Joy