[Nfbmt] IMPORTANT --the use of this discussion listserve

James Aldrich jkaldrich at samobile.net
Wed Oct 30 20:52:29 UTC 2013

Hi Rik and all,

I do agree!  We had a wonderful convention here this past weekend!  I
feel the Yellowstone County Chapter was indeed hospitable to all of us!
That said, it should be remembered we actually had a statewide
convention planning committee which did a tremendous job in putting
this convention together! Bruce Breslauer, Travis Moses, Linda Hurlock,
Rik James, Ted Robbins and myself!  At first, some in the Yellowstone
County Chapter said, "A convention in Billings?  I want no part of it."
As the planning progressed, they came online with what needed to be
done since they realized the convention was being planned by a state
committee rather than having it dumped on a chapter with no
instructions! I daresay all who came made this convention very special
indeed! We truly can pat ourselves on the back so to speak! Were we
perfect?  Perhaps not!  But I think more went right than went wrong!
How nice it was to have that braille agenda at the potium.  My thanks
to Bruce Breslauer for this!  He also reminded me to have some large
print agendas made up which really came in handy! Of course the story
would not be complete without our Treasurer Ted Robbins helping us with
those tedious negotiations with the hotel! i for one was worried about
the choice we made for our convention hotel! As convention time neared,
I found I didn't have much to worry about!  Even that annoying
waterfall was shut down for our weekend!  Perhaps they turn it off on
weekends normally, I really don't know! Of course, our First Vice
President Rik James did an outstanding   job as our Banquet MC. Linda
Hurlock handled those door prizes efficiently and these didn't take
much time to hand out to those who won them! All who donated door
prizes really came up with some fine ones! I think we will have much to
look forward to with next year's convention!  We certainly are well on
our way to changing what it means to be blind in Montana! Our work is
just beginning and I believe we have elected some fine people to our
board of directors! Our work as a board is just beginning!  We
certainly have many challenges before us and we need to develop that
rhythm as we conduct the affairs of this affiliate. We of course need
your help and support so keep those suggestions coming in! We can refer
to how our convention went as we put it together with a unity of
purpose as we pave the way for a better life for all blind Montanans.
We need to work with this same spirit as we go about our work here!
Some things won't be easily accomplished but I believe persistance and
patience pay royally!

One place where Changing what it means to be blind needs to happen is
on the internet! I'm on a number of Email lists.  I often think we as
blind people have more whiners among us about most anything!  I think
we have more whiners among us than exist in the general population!
This is simply my opinion of course! It is so easy to come to this
conclusion after reading way too many Email messages! I suppose it
depends on one's definition of whining!  What might sound whiny to me
may not sound that way to someone else or the one I think is doing the
whining!  I think we can do our part here by following a simple
procedure which I think will keep any number of things to a minimum! In
scripture, one can find a passage which discusses how matters should be
dealt with in the church.  It may be in the books of Timothy but I
won't have time to look this up today!  This basically says, if one has
a disagreement with their brother, bring it before your brother.  if it
cannot be solved, come before your brother with two others to settle
your differences.  If it can't be settled in this manner, come before
the church to settle what needs to be settled. I would need to read
further the conclusion to all of this but I think if we procede in an
orderly fashion, allot of unnecessary rumor and dirt would be avoided.

I see it this way!  Do feel free to call me or any other board member
if you have any concerns troubling you at a given time!  If you speak
to me and you are still unsettled about what I had said, call me again!
If I do not satisfy what you wished to be settled, bring it up to
someone preferably a board member who may bring it before me!  If this
isn't satisfactory, bring it before the entire board.  I think this
procedure could work for both positive and negative events.  Simply
speak with any member of this organization or a board member.  Do not
consult outside of this organization if this involves matters
concerning the organization.  Of course, one can confer with any of our
national leaders as well. We all need to use our megaphones wisely! I'm
referring to Email Lists and Facebook as well as Twitter as those
megaphones we all may choose to use. The echos die with the use of a
regular megaphone!  We loudly get our point across and what we say dies
with the echoes and may remain in the memory of those who heard it!
Perhaps what we said through that megaphone might be easily forgotten
through the years!  Unfortunately, the internet never forgets.  This is
especially true on Facebook.  What we write may linger for years and
years to come!  Somebody ten years later may read something about you
or me, come to conclusions which never happened and much dirt and
untruth is circulated about us who might be involved in what was
written those many years ago! All of us should exercise care in what we
say or it could backfire on us.  If we are quick to point the finger,
the finger could point back at us with little or no mercy at all!  This
is a good lesson for each of us!  I think there is no private Email
list unless it is heavily moderated.  I think if we try to settle our
differences privately, we will be in much less trouble on the internet!

Thanks everyone for reading! As for a matter at hand, I will do my best
to lay it to rest!

Thanks for reading!

Jim