[Nfbmt] [NFBMT] Fwd: Invitation to BLVS Forum

Bruce&Joy Breslauer bjb5757 at bresnan.net
Sat Aug 2 10:10:47 UTC 2014

There are plenty of places on the web to learn about what technology is out
there, including the vendors themselves: Freedom Scientific, Humanware, Hymns,
others.  There are publications like Access World and web sites like
www.flyingblind.com, as well as The Braille Monitor and the NFB web site.  I
don't know that BLVS or any one entity can be expected to be the one-stop shop
for all things accessible technologically.  JAWS and Window-Eyes have training
and tutorials on their web site, some of which is free.  Even Apple has some
help on their web site.  Many devices have built-in tutorials and explanatory
built-in manuals, some of which are better than others.  There are even
demonstration videos on YouTube.  Jim A., you yourself have often been a
resource for many things technological for many of us.

One of the founding principles of the NFB in my opinion is that if you don't
know how to do something and I do, I can show you what I know, and vise versa.

Because Montana is so far flung geographically, one person can't be everywhere
at once.  Each office has a rehabilitation therapist, and part of their
training and expertise is to teach technology.

Maybe one of the ways that the technology person in Helena could be of help to
us is to schedule webinars on topics of interest, or maybe we could figure out
how to do that ourselves.  There have been webinars put on by companies such
as Freedom Scientific for teaching certain specifics about JAWS, for instance,
and many companies and other interested parties have podcasts available for
download.

I remember a few years ago someone from Freedom Scientific came out here and
put on a week long seminar about JAWS at the Great Falls College of
Technology, and I think they also came to Missoula at least once.  Maybe
arranging something like that periodically would be helpful.  I remember
Sheila talking about attending the PILS program in order to learn skills that
would be useful in living on your own.  Maybe something like that could be
done again.  I have often thought it would be cool to have a technomobile that
would periodically go around the state and stay somewhere for a week and
demonstrate technology to those who were interested, and maybe hold classes.

The technoperson in Helena is just a phone call away.  He may not know all the
answers, but if he doesn't he will try to find them out and get back to you.

Just some thoughts.

Joy