[Nfbmt] FW: [Reader-users] Article from Braille Monitor

Rik James montanarikster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 08:31:48 UTC 2014

Nice to be able to reach back and read that, Ted. Thank you.
My oh, my. Indeed.
Most of us, I imagine. We may remember that Kurzweil machine that was placed
in the college library here in Bozeman in the early 1980s. And Tom &  Scott
who were blind students at MSU, gave us demonstrations at the summer
program. It was quite an extraordinary thing.

I just ordered my update on the K-1000 scanning software from Kurzweil. It
should come on a little round thing called a CD, which of course was not yet
in my imagination yet at that time.

I am scanning a book by a local history teacher fellow, Derek Strahn, who
produces the 2 minute radio show here on KGLT, the Montana Medicine Show.
Hope to have it up on Bookshare when all is said and done. Maybe the Montana
Talking Books library might want to produce it in human audio, too.

I am reading a book I just got from BARD during this break.
Any of you have you read it?
by Anthony Doerr.
All the Light We Cannot See.
I imagine there is some conversation in our blind community, as the young
female character is blind.
The setting is France, World War Two, for her. And the counterpoint story is
a young boy in Germany who is not blind, but is a radio and technology guy.
A fascinating story. I like the writer's narrative quite well.

Best wishes to all for a happy new year.
And snug up good during these last hours of 2014.
As the cold air blast through our Montana plains and mountains.

Rik