[Nfbmt] Library

Rebecca Stewart becca33 at bresnan.net
Fri Jan 10 00:30:58 UTC 2014

Thanks Dave.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nfbmt [mailto:nfbmt-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of David Andrews
Sent: Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:41 PM
To: NFB of Montana Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Nfbmt] Library

KNFB Reader Mobile is a phone and software that allows one to take a picture
of a printed page, and read the text on it outloud, on the phone.  It has
been available for several years, and runs on Nokia phones which aren't the
"latest and greatest."  There are similar systems for the Apple iPhone, but
none works as well.  KNFB Reading Technologies keeps saying they are working
on an iPhone version, but they can't get it to work to their satisfaction,
so haven't come out with anything yet.

You can read e-books on your iPhone now.  NLS, the National Library Service
for the Blind has an app for BARD, its on-line service.  There is also an
app for the Kindle which runs on iPhone which is quite accessible.

Dave

At 10:45 AM 1/9/2014, you wrote:
>Ted, what is a KNFB reader mobile?  It sounds like something that would
>make one's life as a blind person more enjoyable.  I have a theory that
>I may be able to download audio books into my Iphone and my phone would
>play them for me but I haven't been able to achieve this yet.  Perhaps
>I need this item you refer to. I'm quickly relizing that my biggest
>problem is lack of knowledge regarding what's available for we "blind"
>persons when it comes to technology.  My experience has been that, for
>myself, at least, lack of information is the biggest hurdle.
>Becca

printer/fax/copier/scanner.