[Nfbmt] Mobility and more

d m gina dmgina at samobile.net
Wed Jan 15 15:20:41 UTC 2014

When I started taking mobility in the seventies, I would have never
thought of a gps device for the blind.
I often wonder now how on earth did I stay on track when the wind was
blowing as hard then as it is now?
I must say now that I am learning how to use a gps system life is a bit better.
We are told in training, one must not panic.
Well gee, that is saying to me panic.
It happens and I just don't say sorry any more.
Working with a gps program getting lost doesn't seem as though I am
lost any more.
the other morning, Jim was taking the trash out.
With the ice trying to get around it, and the wind trying to blow you
off your feet, Jim called me asking to talk a minute.
I was outside giving the cheerleader yell, where he didn't hear me at all.
On our I phones we have the gps program called blind square.
Now this silly program decided that the dumpster needed an address.
Once Jim turned the gps on, he got the dumpster address loll.
Then he realized that he was near the neighbors garage.
He had become disoriniated with the wind, and ice.
He got back out on the sidewalk where I could hear his cane.
I was inside the gate, trying to hang on to it with the wind blowing hard.
I am wondering, when teaching mobility now,
Are the different programs shared with persons in training on the gps?
Or shall I say about the gps?
Blind square also can do what the Trekker breeze does, where you can
put in land marks.
We went over to alnbertsons near our home, added this to the addresses we have.
When I go back again, I can track my way to the store, and track it home again.
What other programs are you folks using when out and about?
Or do you have the problem getting turned around with the wind?
Just some thoughts, and wanted to share.
Happy Traveling