[Nfbmt] Petition

James Aldrich jkaldrich at samobile.net
Sun Jan 26 02:45:54 UTC 2014

From:Mary
FernandezTo:nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.orgSubject:[Nfbnet-members-list]
Equal Access to Education Petition
Dave,
If you would be so kind to post this message on the lists I'd greatly
appreciate it!

It is an unfortunate, and all too common occurrence, that blind
students pursuing a college degree, are faced by countless
accessibility barriers. It is time to change that.
About a month ago I thought that one of the ways that we could educate
the general public, the academic world, students and parents, was to
use a petition which would outline the issue, and offer a solution.
That petition is here today. Jamie Pricipado, a student who
experienced the effects that inaccessible software has on a student’s
education, and who, as a result, is an extremely passionate advocate
for the issue, agreed to be our starter petitioner. Below you will find
the link to the petition we drafted, along with the help of the amazing
Lauren McClarney at the government affairs department at NFB. I ask you
not to simply sign it, but to send it to every contact in your address
book, post it on Facebook Twitter, Stumble On, and all the zillions of
social media outlets out there. In a mere six hours we are only 200
signatures away from reaching the first 1000 signatures. If this is an
important issue to you, and if you believe in the right of equal access
to education, do your part, and let’s get this done.
https://www.change.org/petitions/pass-teach-act-equal-access-to-educational-materials-for-students-with-disabilities

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Sincerely

--
Mary Fernandez
Mary Fernandez <trillian551 at gmail.com>;

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget
what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
—
Maya Angelou