[Nfbmt] FW: National Federation of the Blind Applauds Department of Justice Settlement with Peapod

Bruce&Joy Breslauer bjb5757 at bresnan.net
Sat Nov 22 22:07:49 UTC 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Applauds
Department of Justice Settlement with Peapod

Baltimore, Maryland (November 21, 2014):  <http://www.nfb.org> The National
Federation of the Blind commented today on a settlement agreement reached
between the Department of Justice and Ahold USA Inc. and Peapod LLC., the
owners and operators of Peapod.com, a popular online grocery delivery
service. The Department of Justice alleged that Peapod violated the
Americans with Disabilities Act by not making its website accessible to
people with disabilities. Under the agreement, Peapod will ensure that all
of its services are accessible to all people with disabilities, including
those who are blind or have low vision.

Mark Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said: "In
order for the blind to truly live the lives we want, we must have the same
access to all of the modern advances in the online sphere as the rest of the
sighted public. The National Federation of the Blind is pleased that an
agreement has been reached with Peapod and that its grocery delivery service
will be accessible to blind people and others with disabilities. We applaud
the Department of Justice for recognizing the critical importance of
ensuring that people with disabilities can participate equally and fully in
all aspects of modern society."

For more information about the settlement agreement, read the press release
from the Department of Justice.
<http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-enters-settlement-agreemen
t-peapod-ensure-peapod-grocery-delivery-website>

###