[Nfbmt] note takers for blind users

Jim Marks blind.grizzly at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 17:20:51 UTC 2014

I use a Braille Plus 18 from APH and like it pretty well.  It's really
an Android phone adapted to Braille input and output.  I do not use it
as my phone.  Rather, I use it like I used my Apex, Braillenote PK, and
other earlier notetaking technologies.  The BP18 has its problems, but
it's connectivity is a huge advantage.  I usually don't lug a laptop
along when I travel any more because the BP18 can handle most of what I
need while on the road.  No other notetaker can do with the BP18 can.
At the same time, it can be quite frustrating to use.  APH has been
promising for some time for an update that will fix most of the
problems.  I'm a long time Android user, so I don't mind the hassles
others dislike.  If a person is tech minded, the BP18 is a very good
choice.  I believe it costs around $3,500 or so.

Jim Marks
blind.grizzly at gmail.com