[Nfbmt] President's Notebook

Bruce&Joy Breslauer bjb5757 at bresnan.net
Wed Apr 29 06:40:34 UTC 2015

President's Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

It is hard to believe that April is almost through. Amongst the
forward-looking activities of the Federation, there is always a need to stop
to make sure all of our housekeeping business is in order. I note that seven
affiliates still have banking information from 2014 to provide to the
national office. And many are behind on the first quarter of 2015. I
encourage all affiliate leaders to make sure that their records with the
national office are up-to-date. If we're going to build our organization, we
want to make sure the house we invite people into is clean, tidy, and
welcoming.

News:

PetSmart lawsuit:

A class action lawsuit, accusing PetSmart, Inc. of violating the rights of
blind customers under the ADA, was filed on behalf of  <http://www.nfb.org/>
the National Federation of the Blind, the Colorado Cross-Disability
Coalition (CCDC), and six blind individuals who reside in Colorado, Texas,
and Massachusetts. The suit alleges that PetSmart requires the entry of
debit card PINs on touch-screen keypads, which the blind cannot operate,
rather than simple, inexpensive tactile keypads.

JAWS training bundle:
We are now the exclusive seller of the JAWS Training Bundle developed by
<http://freedomscientific.com/> Freedom Scientific. It is sold on cartridges
designed for use with the free DAISY playback equipment available from the
NLS.

Anne Taylor:
Anne is joining Microsoft as a senior program manager in the Trusted
Experience Team. She will start there May 26. Her last day at the Jernigan
Institute will be May 15.

Dates to keep in mind:

.         Spring affiliate conventions <https://nfb.org/state-conventions>

.         May 14-16, 2015: NFB STEM2U Columbus (OH), COSI

.         June 7, 2015: NFB 6 DOT DASH

.         July 5-10, 2015: 75th Annual Convention of the National Federation
of the Blind

.         August 2-8, 2015: NFB STEM EQ

.         September 11-13, 2015: NFB STEM2U Leadership Academy

.         June 19-25, 2016: NFB EQ (first iteration)

.         July 31-August 6, 2016 (second iteration)

.         August, 2016: WBU-ICEVI General Assembly

Mark A. Riccobono, President

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21230