[Nfbmt] phoneside chat

Bruce&Joy Breslauer bjb5757 at bresnan.net
Fri Mar 13 02:13:17 UTC 2015

Well, I been doin some thinkin.  That's usually dangerous, but here goes.

I was thinkin that we have two chapters, the Yellowstone County Chapter and
the Treasure State At Large chapter, and that's good, but they're far apart
geographically and they each are separate from one another in how they
conduct their affairs.  They are working toward a common goal, yes, but
otherwise they don't have much to do with each other.

Maybe if we have a big invite- get-together fried-chicken home made apple
pie ice cream social on the phone, invite a friend to come, that might be
fun and help us build community and comradery.

I have been toying with the idea of starting a conference call for the whole
affiliate.  FDR had his Fireside Chat, maybe we could have our Phoneside
Chat.  Just get together for an hour or so and shoot the breeze, talk about
the NFB Philosophy and how it has impacted our lives or how we wish it
could, invite speakers or be speakers to address various topics, maybe share
our testimonies, sing a few hymns . oh wait, that's probably another
gathering.  But anyway, some of us oldsters might have some experiences to
share with the rest of us about how we became blind and how that has
affected our lives, positively or negatively.  I don't think it needs to be
a therapy session, but we could just spend some time building a community,
getting burning questions answered about the NFB and why it does what it
does or what we want to do as an affiliate, not have it be so formal and
scripted if you will as a chapter might be.  Ted could talk about fixing
cars, Sheila could talk about raising kids, Joy could shut up for once and
learn something.  Oh, did I really say that?  Somebody could talk about
places they've traveled to, or situations they've been in where being a
blind person was either funny or not, whether you've always been blind or
whether you came to it later in life and how you adjusted, the sky and your
imagination is the limit.  So I want to pick a time and a day that would
work for most of us.  I want to set a few ground rules, like no picking on
people, no hanging up mad, etc.  I want people to feel safe there and not
ganged up on.  I'd love to run it, but I sure wouldn't turn down anybody
else who wants to take over a meeting and expound on a topic.  I thought if
we met once a month that would be a start.  I don't want this or anything
else to start taking over our lives, those of us who have lives, but I think
this could be really interesting and fun.

So I am looking for input for a day and time that might work for most of us.
Week nights don't work well for me as a work-a-day person.  Week ends might
work ok if the call takes maybe an hour and doesn't go much beyond that,
unless by special consent or the topic is really really good.  I think it's
only fair to say that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, so that we don't
provide unnecessary grist for the rumor mill or create unnecessary
misunderstandings and strife between or among us.  I want this to be a
positive experience for all, but if it isn't, I want to have a way to
address that and get it settled once and for all and go on with the life of
the community building.  No grudges, no hard feelings, no covering it over
and letting it fester.  Just the golden rule, treat each other like you'd
want to be treated, and don't take any wooden nickels.  Does it say that
somewhere in the Bible?  Anyway, let me hear from you and we'll plan a day
and time soon.

Anybody have one of those old crank ice cream makers, the one where you use
ice and rock salt?  Bring a banjo, a harmonica, a good story, and we'll all
have a lemonade in the shade or maybe a Mint Julep and listen to the
Dixieland band from the front porch.  Y'all come back now, ya hear?

www.nfbofmt.org

blindness is not what holds you back