[Nfbmt] The May edition of the Braille Monitor

Bruce&Joy Breslauer bjb5757 at bresnan.net
Sat May 16 09:42:15 UTC 2015

For your information.  Joy

The May edition of the Braille Monitor presents a fascinating examination of
the effect of attitudes on both policy making and personal behavior.  Marc
Maurer gave an address to the 2015 Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium entitled
Improving and Augmenting the ADA, Rehabilitation Act, and IDEA-A Vision for
the Next Twenty-Five Years: Disability and the Law of the Poor.  This
address which is reprinted in the May Braille Monitor explains how both the
attitudes of society and the attitudes of the disabled themselves will
determine disability policy over the next 25 years.  Read this stimulating
article to find out why Dr. Maurer thinks "the law should abandon the
practice of adopting rights for disabled people without creating a
corresponding set of remedies."

The lack of employment is one of the greatest problems that blind people
face today.  Dick Davis continues the theme of the effect of attitudes in
his article entitled Blind People and Talking Dogs.

Attitudes effect individual behavior.  Read My West Virginia Experience by
Dr. Donald C. Capps to see what shaped his attitude for a lifetime of giving
back to the NFB.  How did Ronald A. Owens acquire his positive attitude
toward Braille?  Read Illiterate No More to find the answer to this question
and to see how his attitude toward Braille developed.

The struggle of changing attitudes is challenging and difficult.  Patti
Chang and Kelsey Nicolay describe the personal struggle and reward of
changing attitudes.  Patti Chang's article is Jumping the Fire and Kelsey
Nicolay's article is My Journey Toward Winning Friends and Influencing
Others.

Changing what it means to be blind is a lofty goal, but what does it mean?
The attitudes that shape the philosophy of the National Federation of the
Blind are eloquently explained in The Barrier of the Visible Difference by
Dr. Kenneth Jernigan.  The statistics presented in the article by Donna
Hill, Is Literacy Really for Everyone?-The Numbers Tell a Different Story,
should compel us to continue the work of the Federation.
Read, heed, and succeed.
Go to https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm15/bm1505/bm1505tc.htm

Sharon Maneki

P.S.  You can also go to www.nfb.org/publications/braillemonitor and read or
listen to it online, or you can request to receive The Braille Monitor in
large print or Braille, on USB drive or by email.  It is also available on
NFB-Newsline, or for download to your mobile device.

www.nfbofmt.org

blindness is not what holds you back