[Nfbmt] Conference Call Meeting Protocol Gentle Reminder

Bruce&Joy Breslauer bjb5757 at bresnan.net
Sat May 16 13:23:35 UTC 2015

Hi.

El Presidente here.  Let's try to keep these suggestions in mind on every
conference call.

We all know the President or the moderator runs the meeting and controls the
pace of the meeting, and tries to keep a balance between that control and
letting ideas flow more smoothly and freely.  Sometimes that works better
than at other times.  The risk is that conversation may become monopolized
by one person, other people may not get a chance to comment, the
conversation may drift off topic, or there may be cross talk, making it
harder for others to hear what is being said.  Sometimes things like this
take up valuable time during the meeting, and it goes longer than people
have time or interest for.  So there should be a maximum time for the
meeting to take place, and usually an hour max is plenty of time, especially
if the meeting stays focused and on topic.  I know I have chaired meetings
that have gone over an hour as well, so I'm not using my pointy finger about
that, but in my never-to-be-humble opinion that is probably a good goal to
strive for.

So, I have a suggestion.

When someone else is talking, please listen and don't say anything.

If you want to say something, say your name and wait for the President or
the moderator to acknowledge that he or she has heard you by saying your
name, and that is the signal that you now have the floor and can speak.

If several people want the floor at the same time, the President or the
moderator will choose who will speak first and then next, etc.  The
President or moderator will try to be fair and give the floor to the first
person who asks for it, but honestly on a conference call it may be given to
the first person that the President or moderator hears, so sometimes the
quality of your phone connection might influence how well you are heard.  If
you want the floor and have not been acknowledged yet, please don't be
afraid to speak up and get the President or moderator's attention.  If you
have not been acknowledged and you want to speak, please say your name again
after the previous person has finished speaking and wait for the President
or moderator to acknowledge you by saying your name before you speak.

Another thing to keep in mind is that cordless phones and cell phones may
not always come through well on a conference call, and speaker phones may be
especially difficult to hear.  In a larger group, it may help to put your
phone on mute so that other people don't have to hear you breathing or
coughing or yelling at your kids or dogs while they're trying to listen to
the meeting.  Then if you have something to say, you can unmute.

Just some thoughts for us all to consider, me included.

www.nfbofmt.org

blindness is not what holds you back