[Nfbmt] 2015 Montana Talking Book Library Report

Bruce&Joy Breslauer breslauerj at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 00:24:48 UTC 2015

2015 Montana Talking Book Library Report

To: The NFB-MT Convention, Great Falls, MT.

Date: Oct. 11, 2015.

My apologies for not attending the NFB-MT convention in person. My favorite
activity is to be among our library patrons and learn what we do best for
you, and what we can improve. Your comments and suggestions are valuable to
us, and always welcome.

WHAT'S HAPPENING AT MTBL?  This year, as well as the last, we have been
challenged with retirements in our department. People we have worked with
for many years, Diane Gunderson, Recording and Volunteer Director, and
Carolyn Meier, Circulation Director, have chosen their next chapters to
follow in their lives and are filling those paths full!

As much as we miss them, we have had a wonderful addition of Erin Harris
(moving from Reader Advisor/Machine Lending Agent), into the Recording and
Volunteer Director position which is a perfect match for both.  Another
great addition that came last fall was filling Erin's old position of
Readers' Advisor/Machine Lending Agent with a bright new star, Bobbi
deMontigny, who brings with her a wealth of public library experience and
wonderful energy for the program.

We are currently in the process of hiring a Circulation Manager and hope to
have one on board soon to start training in the multiple and exciting new
tasks that position holds for an energetic match. Thankfully, Martin Landry
and Jackie Crepeau help round out our excellent team.

That brings you up to date with what's happening in Helena, other than to
remind you that each staff member is helping other staff to cover your
requests and services, and we thank you for your patience.

In the last federal fiscal year, we had a total of 119 registered patron for
Newsline. We added 23 during over that time period and had 23 cancel this
service (different patrons on both lists). Over 3,000 total patrons were
served statewide last year.

Please remember that as BARD requires more and more upgrades, dependent on
the amount of books and magazines the National Library Service (NLS) can
add, our mailing services here in Helena are keeping up with the immediate,
and back-up needs of our Montana patrons.

WHAT'S HAPPENING ON THE NATIONAL LEVEL? On the national horizon, there are
many exciting things planned by the NLS. They include many innovative and
creative ideas. In April, 2015, representatives from multiple consumer
groups met in Washington D.C. with Karen Keninger, NLS Director, NLS staff
and talking book library representatives to address "the Future of NLS".
The timeframes between brainstorming, planning, developing and implementing
each idea carries a wide variety of projections that are impossible to
predict yet. But they each bring with them some hopeful and thoughtful ideas
for an improved future for our talking book library patrons.

Over the past three years the NLS Team has already accomplished:

-Updates to BARD, including more user-friendly functions and the addition of
locally produced books and magazines (Montana has uploaded 5 titles so far-
list attached). As positions are filled, training is accomplished, this will
pick up momentum.

-The NLS developed and launched the BARD Mobile iOS as well as the Android
platform (or apps).

-Began phases of implementing the Unified English Braille (UEB), due to
launch in early 2016.

-Added commercially recorded books to the NLS collection (both on BARD and
in the library). (These are being received by NLS from their vendor
contracts for free, so the previously efforts by NLS to rate these books for
having these categories: sex, strong language and violence, has become an
overwhelming challenge for NLS and all talking book libraries.) We are
working together to identify the degrees of different ratings, but for now,
we're simply marking these as "unrated" so as not to offend our readers. For
now, this gives readers the opportunity to try some unrated books or not.

-Other future possibilities include improving the NLS digital talking book
player (adding wireless capabilities, working with AT & T, Google and other
third party providers with this). NLS Director Karen Keninger cautioned:
that by giving more choices to players, the complexity goes up as NLS takes
into account users' skills, as well as the challenges of not making
something too complex. All of which will take time, involvement of
appropriate feedback-as well as new money.

- It is also predicted that the cost of technology will go down, which is a
positive for Montana (and many other states). Many efforts in and out of
Montana are in process that bring to the forefront of attention   our state
resource needs for our citizens.

-In the meantime, NLS and talking book libraries are prepared to "fill the
demands" with "duplication on demand" in each library, as well as working
cooperatively with NLS who have provided libraries with more cartridges to
use for high demand books needing duplication. The Montana Talking Book
Library appreciates having this vital resource as we guide each other into
the future of libraries.

We look forward to continuing to bring you the best possible service in the
year to come.  I appreciate your partnership.

Sincerely,

Christie Briggs, Supervisor

Montana Talking Book Library

Address: P.O. Box 1325, Great Falls, MT 59403

Phone: (406) 454-3096

Email: president at nfbofmt.org

Web Site: www.nfbofmt.org