[Nfbmt] More fallout from the convention

Bruce&Joy Breslauer breslauerj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 16:17:23 UTC 2015

When the Mayor of Great Falls welcomed us, he talked about how well dressed
he was but that we couldn't see that, although we looked pretty good to him.
He talked about the different things to do in Great Falls, to see the C. M.
Russell museum, the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center, etc.  He made some
comment about shopping in Great Falls, and then I thought he said something
about us not shopping.  Many of his remarks came off to me as if we were
economically disadvantaged, poor blind folks, and I decided he needed a
letter.

Dear Mayor Winters:

On behalf of the National Federation of the Blind of Montana, I would like to
thank you for addressing our third annual convention Friday evening, October
9, 2015, at the Holiday Inn, and welcoming us to Great Falls.

We have these conventions annually not to commiserate with each other about
how miserable and debilitating it is to be blind, but to celebrate the fact
that we are alive and well and contributing members of society.  We are just
like everyone else, except without sight.  Actually, most blind people do
have some sight; only 3 to 5% of us have no sight whatsoever.  Even so, we
are employed, some of us have college and post graduate degrees, some of us
are married with children or grandchildren, some of us own our own homes or
businesses.  We cook, we shop, we love, we hate, just like everyone else.  We
look forward to the day when blindness will be viewed by our fellow citizens
as nothing but a characteristic, like blonde hair or blue eyes.  We are not
more remarkable than you; we are not more disadvantaged than you.  We are
people who are just like you in every respect except we happen to be blind.
We get together every year to celebrate that, and to pass on that philosophy
to those who are newly blind or who have not had an opportunity to experience
the good life that we have in spite of and sometimes because of our
blindness.  To paraphrase someone with whom I am sure you are familiar, we
look forward to the day when we will not be judged by the manner of our dress
or whether or not we have sight, but by the content of our character.  As the
Psalmist David said, man looks on the outside, but God looks on the heart.
That is what we look forward to in our lives as well.

We are a civil rights and advocacy organization striving to better the lives
of those who are blind or have low vision through education, legislation, and
recreation.  For example, we want to work toward making our lives better by
advocating for the repeal of such antiquated but still legal practices as
paying subminimum wages to people with disabilities.  Having a job that pays
at least minimum wage or higher is  something that most Americans take for
granted, and would raise holy heck if they didn't.  In fact, some are
organizing to raise the minimum wage even higher.  All we are asking for is
to have the same opportunities that our fellow citizens take for granted.

We have a statewide  at large chapter that meets by telephone once a month.
We have a local chapter in Billings and have just formed one in Great Falls,
and hope to do so in other cities and localities as we grow.

For more information, please visit our web site at www.nfbofmt.org.

Thank you again for addressing us at our convention.  We look forward to
being in touch with you on matters of interest to us as members of our
community and first class citizens of our great nation.

May God continue to bless you in your personal and political endeavors.

Sincerely,