[Nfbmt] Invitation to Legislative Workshop

Bruce&Joy Breslauer breslauerj at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 13:06:26 UTC 2015

Any takers?  Who wants to represent Montana at the legislative workshop
before the Washington Seminar this coming January?  They have room for only
one participant per state; additional participants will have to stay in a
hotel.  Let me know if you're interested so I can let them know.  I'll put
it on the convention board agenda.  Joy

Dear Colleagues,

We are four months away from the long-awaited, highly anticipated 2016
Washington Seminar.  Our 2016 legislative priorities will help us drive the
economic and social agenda for blind Americans in the next generation, and
we must deliver our message to Congress in a concise, clear fashion.  To
tighten our advocacy efforts on Capitol Hill, we will be conducting a
Legislative Workshop at the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute during the weekend preceding the Washington Seminar.

Here are the details you will need.  The dates of the Legislative Workshop
are Saturday, January 23, through Monday, January 25.  Meals and lodging
from Saturday dinner through Monday lunch will be provided by the National
Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute.  Each State President is asked
to select one representative and communicate that selection to me using the
contact information shown below.

Workshop participants should arrive at the National Federation of the Blind
Jernigan Institute no later than 5:00 p.m. EST on January 23.  The Workshop
will conclude by 12:00 noon on Monday, January 25.  Transportation from the
Jernigan Institute to the Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol will be provided
in plenty of time to attend the Great Gathering-in, which will occur at 5:00
p.m. on Monday, January 25.

As for flight plans, my suggestion would be to fly into BWI on Saturday,
January 23, and fly out of DCA when you conclude your business at the
Washington Seminar.  Of course, a state president may select him/herself to
attend the Legislative Workshop.  But for overnight accommodations at the
Jernigan Institute, each state is limited to one representative (including
the state president) so please plan accordingly.

If affiliates would like to send two or more members to participate in the
Legislative Workshop, The Jernigan Institute will provide meals during the
weekend and transportation to the Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol on Monday
for all active Workshop participants.  However, due to space limitations,
affiliates will need to make arrangements for overnight accommodations at a
hotel in the area for any additional representatives.

Please let me know the name of your Legislative Workshop designee by Monday,
November 30 so that we can complete the necessary arrangements.  Moreover,
it will be easier for those attending the Workshop to make travel plans if
they know they need to do so well in advance.  Thus, it would be great if we
could all adhere to this deadline.  Thanks, and I look forward to hearing
from you soon.

Cordially,

Parnell Diggs, Esq.

Director of Government Affairs

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street

Baltimore, MD 21230

Office: (410) 659-9314, extension 2222

Mobile: (843) 267-2018

Email:  <mailto:pdiggs at nfb.org> pdiggs at nfb.org

Twitter: @NFB_Voice

  @ParnellDiggs

 <https://nfb.org/make-gift> Make a gift to the National Federation of the
Blind and help ensure all blind Americans live the lives they want